Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
-Davo
Banned

Question Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

I just got a 700w Pioneer 15 inch sub, cause it was on sale (pick her up for 228, sweet deal), and in about a week I'll be looking for an amp, does it matter how powerful the amp is? I'm looking at a 1000w, or a 900w amp, I don't want it to blow, so does it matter how "big" it is?

Does anyone have any suggestions on an amp I should get to power it?

thanks mates, -Davo.
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

Of course it does. if you get an amp with like 200w ull blow the shit out of your subs. Make sure that the sub wattage and amp wattage are around the same figures. Im not sure if the 1000 will blow it, is your sub 700 rms or peak?
Powerefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

please tell me neither of you are serious....
$228 for pioneer? my friend you have been ripped.
200w will blow a sub that can sapposeably handle (though it really cant) handle 700w? LMAO. how manytimes must i say, it is dumbasses who blow speakers, not amps. a 200w amp can power a coil capeable of handling 4000w. an amp capeable 4000w amp can power a coil that can only handle 200w. and neither will blow. the key is peoperly set gains. if underpowering a sub hurt it subs would blow evertime you turned your system down. please dont spread falsei nformation in our board... thank you.
What Pioneer Woofer was it? what type of enclosure are you planing on puting it in? all in all 500w of clean power is probably all it will handle. and no that isnt sony watts. it could handle probably 1000 sony watts. (1/2 joule per second is sony's standers, lol)
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

pioneer subs will handle rated power.......problem is that's prolly peak..... but yea 228 is a horrbile deal considering that would have got you an se 15 tempest atlas 15 and almost an sx15.
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454
Re: Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerefx
Of course it does. if you get an amp with like 200w ull blow the shit out of your subs. Make sure that the sub wattage and amp wattage are around the same figures. Im not sure if the 1000 will blow it, is your sub 700 rms or peak?

well dont rag on him too fast fryman.. i wouldnt suggest a newb get a 200 watt amp for a 700 watt sub because they would blow the sub. NOW think about it..

you hear your sub, but its not as loud as you thought it should be. so what do you do.. crank up the sub level, the gains to 100%, bass boost all the way up, etc. now you have a rediculous signal goin to the sub. boom. blows the coils.

on the other hand, too much power and if you dont know how to keep it down youll fry the coils too.

not saying you guys would do this but i guarantee about a year or two ago i would have... if you dont know whats up then the best way to do it is to match rms power IMO. you can still screw stuff up but its a little less likely that you will.

get back at us with the specs for the sub man and well recommend somethin.

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

For about 200 bucks more (American $) you could have gotten a set of Alpine Type X subs (12', 6000w peak/3000RMS)

Or, for the same price pick you could have picked up 2x Alpine Type R or some nice Kickers.

I'm going to ebay my subs, they are cheap on ebay (I look for lots of good feedback before I buy )
SKyleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

I don't think kicker (subs) and nice belong in the same sentence....... and if you put a 200 watt amp fully clipped on a 700 watt sub that can handle a true 700 watts it CANNOT be thermally overpowered.
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndonD454
well dont rag on him too fast fryman.. i wouldnt suggest a newb get a 200 watt amp for a 700 watt sub because they would blow the sub. NOW think about it..

you hear your sub, but its not as loud as you thought it should be. so what do you do.. crank up the sub level, the gains to 100%, bass boost all the way up, etc. now you have a rediculous signal goin to the sub. boom. blows the coils.
nope, not with 200rms on a 700rms sub

the most that amp can put out even in full clip would be around 3-400rms. Mixed with the lack of excursion because of the square wave you might be getting close, but even then I'd think you'd have a tough time blowing it, and that's with a 100% clipped sine wave (aka: a square wave), not music.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

lol beat ya to it...... by about 10 sec. but yea even full square wave shouldn't blow it.
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #10
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
I don't think kicker (subs) and nice belong in the same sentence....... and if you put a 200 watt amp fully clipped on a 700 watt sub that can handle a true 700 watts it CANNOT be thermally overpowered.
Don't care for the Kicker CVR? Have you heard them before or are you going by word of mouth? Anyone else support this? (I'm thinking on buying them that's why...) If you had to pick, which would it be... *Audiobahn AW1251T or Kicker CVR both the Audiobahns and Kickers are 12'.* Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

well regardless of whether or not a fully clipped 200 watt amp could blow the sub or not it would still sound like ass. and i thought that if the signal is bad enough it could blow voice coils regardless of whether or not the coils were actually being overpowered... i suppose im still new though so maybe i just heard wrong.

and kyle.. dont rag on him cause he actually bought his stuff at a store.. yeah ebay is cheap but its also risky. any car audio stuff without a warranty is risky in my business ive seen too many things from nonauthorized dealers blow and then people end up with big paperweights. granted, he paid too much, who hasnt at one point? i bought sony speakers (which i hate with a passion) for $100.. but this was back when i didnt knwo what i was doing.. people make mistakes..

besides this doesnt mean the subs gonna suck. what if he had money to blow?

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

Lol I Meant 2000.... As In Two Thousand.. It Was A Typo, Im Not That Stupid. Lol
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

And i was being sarcastic about the 2000 if that counts
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

well regardless of whether or not a fully clipped 200 watt amp could blow the sub or not it would still sound like ass. and i thought that if the signal is bad enough it could blow voice coils regardless of whether or not the coils were actually being overpowered... i suppose im still new though so maybe i just heard wrong.

and kyle.. dont rag on him cause he actually bought his stuff at a store.. yeah ebay is cheap but its also risky. any car audio stuff without a warranty is risky in my business ive seen too many things from nonauthorized dealers blow and then people end up with big paperweights. granted, he paid too much, who hasnt at one point? i bought sony speakers (which i hate with a passion) for $100.. but this was back when i didnt knwo what i was doing.. people make mistakes..

and stang dotn rag on kicker stuff too hard.. ill get defensive.. hah.. but really how many mainstream companies do you actually consider better? not by any means suggesting kickers the best non mainstream, but my CVR sounds better than a lot of my friends' subs.. and it can obviously take its power.. i have prolly 50 watts more than they suggest. not great SQ no, ill agree, but horrible.. and good spl.

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #15
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndonD454

Not "raging" on his to be exact.. There were what? 3 posts above mine with people saying he got ripped. Didn't rip into them like you did me? Or are you just picking on me..

Anyways, yes, ebay has its risks. I know people that bought off ebay with success. Plus, they usually give a 90 day warranty (on most stores) if they don't, I don't buy. =P

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio