Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
duffman9465
AF Newbie

88 jeep wagoneer overheating quickly

I'm a first poster here. So I don't know if this is the completely correct place to put this but my engine is the same as a cherokee of the same year. But I'm in desperate need of help here. My 88 Jeep Wagoneer is overheating badly within a couple of minutes. I have no clue why it is. I'll explain how it first happened.

It first happened about a year ago. The car had sat for a little while and I had started to get back into repairing a few things on it. The car drove great for about 2 weeks. Then, while I was in completely stopped traffic on the highway after driving on the highway for about 35 miles, the car had suddenly started to overheat and the temp gauge spiked up super high (around the 250-260 degree mark). I made it to the next gas station and when I opened the hood to let the heat bleed off, the cap on the pressure tank blew off and sent a geyser of coolant everywhere. That was when I had the closed system radiator on it.

Fast forward to yesterday, September 4th. I replaced the closed system radiator with an open radiator and made all of the other swaps that go along with it (I'll make a list later of all the things I've done). I'm still having the overheating issue exactly the same way that I was before. The car heats up super hot within a couple of minutes and I'm getting a steamy kind of smoke from the car. I have no idea what's going on and I need answers fast.

Now the things that I've done to the car in regards to the coolant system:

-New open radiator with a 16lbs cap
-new heater valve
-new coolant hoses
-new water outlet (the thermostat housing)
-new thermostat at 195 degrees fahrenheit
-non pressurized overflow tank
-new coolant temperature sensor

I absolutely don't know what's going on with the car and why it's overheating the way it is. I'm completely stumped. Also, I noticed while it's heating up, that there isn't any heat coming out of the vents when I turn on the heat inside the car. The only thing that I haven't done is buy and replace the water pump. I don't want to spend more money where it isn't needed and put fruitless efforts into it. Does anyone else have an idea what's going on? Please share and help if you can

Also, this is all happening at idle and while the car is moving. Even when moving at 60 or 70 mph. The radiator is also ice cold after I shut off the engine while it's overhearing. I did remove the radiator cap and ran the car and the coolant does end up getting really hot to the touch close to the point where it overheats.

Thanks (sorry this post is so long. Please feel free to ask questions if I wasn't clear enough on something)
duffman9465 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee