Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > GV/GVS/GVL
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #16
Japmetal

Buying a Yugo could only be considered stuipd if the buyer does not know what they are buying; If the person in question knows all about this car, it's quirks & problems & is still prepared to put up with them to drive something they really want to own [I'm sure they have their reasons !] how is that stupid ?

Not everyone wants to do 2,000,000 miles an hour in an engine-swapped Civic just like every other on the roads, some people own cars for the history, or the comfort [ok, maybe not in this case] or the individual looks of that vehicle - there's even a mechanic at work who's done up a Peugeot 305 van [including a full outer respray] simply because he used to service it when it was brand new [quite a few years ago now].
Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #17
Sexy beast
Banned

Re: im gettin a yugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japmetal
Buying a Yugo could only be considered stuipd if the buyer does not know what they are buying; If the person in question knows all about this car, it's quirks & problems & is still prepared to put up with them to drive something they really want to own [I'm sure they have their reasons !] how is that stupid?.
No, that would be a person with a masochistic fetish.
Sexy beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:09 PM   #18
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

I doubt that you ever worked on them, but if you're actually telling the truth, you should at least have appreciated how easy these cars are to work on, the oil filter, sparkplugs, distributor etc. are all in front and easy to get at. I don't even think Subaru compares for ease of maintenance.
Also did you work for a dealer?

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:00 AM   #19
alexpag
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to alexpag
2strokebloke where are u from and where did you get the rally yugo picture? That rally yugo is from slovenia and has yust woned the yugo cup. And that was the trought that yugo vas faster than honda. It had 2.0 engine inside.
alexpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
2strokebloke

If you go into the "general discussion" forum here in the Yugo section, you'll find a post that has a link to where I found that picture.

"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:07 AM   #21
bobby28384
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
He very well may be "rigth" but he still owns a honda. ame-o.
HAHA that's funny!! Go Yugo!! I haven't actually seen very many of them here in hillybilly Texas....most cars here are trucks. Keep up the good work!

Volkswagen. Drivers Wanted. Don't be a ricer. Get a Golf.
bobby28384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #22
DJHyperXK2004
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DJHyperXK2004
lol
DJHyperXK2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #23
JayB23
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to JayB23

Well, I figure if you buy a Yugo you must have a reason (though I may never understand it), still, I figure, if I were real loaded, I mean, like a biziollionare, I'd probably get a Yugo and sup it up just for the hell of it, but let's all admit one thing, whether its for fun or whatever, Yugos are pretty crappy cars, I can totally deal with Huyndai Excels, which are actually like, a real car, but a Yugo, I drove one once and it really gives you an idea of the ex-country where they were built, all cruddy and stuff, still, go ahead, if you get it all supped up and stuff, I'd totally like to see that!!
JayB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #24
PRocker
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: im gettin a yugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy beast
[size=7] Can't you see the stupidity of buying a Yugo?
I just bought a 1989 Yugo GV with 35000 miles on it and this thing is immaculate. The interior is clean as is the body, frame, everything under the hood, etc....it is a practical car if you're looking for an economy car...not something i want. However, after an inexpensive fiat engine swap, some minor suspension upgrades, these cars really hual. I konw people that swear my them in auto-cross competitions, and there is actually a 9-sec all motor Yugo out there. Buying a Yugo is not a stupid decision if you know what to do with it. I would rather have a Yugo over a generic honda any day of the week.
PRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #25
98Metro
AF Newbie

I know that Yugo's got a bad rape in the 80's and early 90's. I owned one for several years. I got it 2 years old in 1988(86 Model) and I loved it. The sheet metal used in them was actualy thicker that other imports at the time and the drivetrain was just Fiat stuff. The Yugo was a car that Fiat designed and planned to build, but for some reason chose not to. So, they sold it to the Yugoslavians and they build them. However many of the parts came from Fiat. When I worked on mine I found many parts that still had the Fiat logo on them.
I was between 18 and 20 when I had mine and I beat the crap out of it. I jumped it over RR tracks in Albany Or. I got at least 3 feet of air before I came crashing down. I dented the oil pan and bent a rim(knocked the alignment out too). I drove it just fine for 2 years after that, held up very well.
One problem people had with these cars is that they did not drive them right. Fiats need to be rev'ed. If you reved it up and drove it hard, it ran great. I had to replace the Alternator twice and the clutch once, but had no other trouble with it.
I also modified it. I used parts from a Fiat X1/9. I got many compliments and strage looks when I told them it was a Yugo. I removed all emblems, made a custom tail panel, custom grill and modified the bumpers. I also lowered it.
All in all the Yugo was not that bad, if I could find another one cheap, I would buy it.
I don't wish to argue the point, just giving my input from several years of happy driving.

Scott
98Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 98Metro For This Useful Post:
DogZy (01-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 PM   #26
ucfhatch
AF Newbie

me and my buddy bought a yugo to "supe up". ha, it's so freakin hilarious, i love this car. with the start button and the crap exhaust, the leaky moonroof and the spare in the engine bay. hahaha, i love this car. check it out....
ucfhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ucfhatch For This Useful Post:
DogZy (01-31-2014)
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #27
2strokebloke

I envy you. I haven't seen a Yugo for sale in my area since last year. But I did find another Renault Le Car, which is just as good in many respects!
Keep it in good shape!

EDIT: I just noticed that your hood scoop is on backwards!

Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #28
ucfhatch
AF Newbie

Re: Re: im gettin a yugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
I envy you. I haven't seen a Yugo for sale in my area since last year. But I did find another Renault Le Car, which is just as good in many respects!
Keep it in good shape!

EDIT: I just noticed that your hood scoop is on backwards!
this is how i bought it. i don't even know what i'm doing to it yet. i bought a factory manual to try to get it running. right now it stalls if we don't keep the gas pressed. any ideas? we're about to do plugs, wires, distributor cap.
ucfhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #29
2strokebloke

You'll probably have to replace all of the vacuum lines. The carb is also probably dirty.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #30
timguyli
AF Regular

I LOOKED AT ONE NEW IN THE SHOWROOM BACK IN THE LATE 80S.. The Damn door fell off in my hand as I opened it to look inside. Nuff said
timguyli is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Yugo > GV/GVS/GVL