Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
Newzze913
AF Newbie

Re: HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

down at the shop they changed my fuel filter, and cleaned the injectors. I started it today and it still idled somewhat roughly but it didnt stall or come nearly as close to stalling as it was before. Im going to take it back AGAIN (cause its warrentied thank god) and see what else can be done ill post my findings when i find out
Newzze913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #17
briangallusser
AF Newbie

Will bad gaskets cause an MIL code "system too lean, bank 1 and 2?" If thats what it takes, I'll do it. What do I need to know? You say that its easy. Do you have some instructions? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not scared to try it myself. Thanks for your help.
briangallusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #18
FordTech4U
AF Newbie

Re: Re: HELP! Explorer rough idle, can't figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangallusser
Will bad gaskets cause an MIL code "system too lean, bank 1 and 2?" If thats what it takes, I'll do it. What do I need to know? You say that its easy. Do you have some instructions? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not scared to try it myself. Thanks for your help.
yes, it will cause both banks to be lean, and theres nothing special to know about pulling it apart, just try to do it in the same day so you can remember where everything goes back in
FordTech4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #19
briangallusser
AF Newbie

Problem Fixed, maybe

I had my o-rings and intake gaskets replaced and my Explorer has never run or idled better than it is now. If you have a cold rough idle, this may be your problem. I Should have done this first. But now after 3 days, my check engine light is back on. I haven't run the codes yet, but that's not what bothered me in the first place. I just wanted it to stay running in the morning. Thanks for all of your help.
briangallusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
2001Sport_Traccer
AF Newbie

Re: Problem Fixed, maybe

INTAKE GASKETS WILL FIX THIS PROBLEM

I have spent three (three) months attempting to cure this same problem. Trusted and competent mechanics couldn't until I (yeah, I'm laughing too) called a local radio show and asked for help.

IAC replacement, EGR was tested, Injector Cleaner out the ying yang, fuel and PCV filters...and it was the UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE GASEKTS that needed replacement. $12.99 at O'Reillys, heh.

The cost of what it took to replace them in my garage? Two years off my life and half my hair...but worth it. It was the only problem with an otherwise amazing truck.

Oh...and my gas mileage went up 2 MPG since the fix.

Email one and all with this, for those with 2001's with crappy morning idle's and otherwise smooth warm-engine running.
2001Sport_Traccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #21
martinwahlstrom
AF Newbie

I had the opposite problem: rough idle when the engine got warm. No check engine light. I cleaned the IAC and the MAF, checked for leaks etc, but no success. I read somewhere on the net that if you disconnect the battery over night the computer will loose all reference values from various sensors and needs to be re-trained.
I tried that and it works after that!
Might be worth a try for your problems as well?

Martin/
martinwahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #22
martinwahlstrom
AF Newbie

Re-trainingis preformed simply by driving it for a while, by the way. Martin/
martinwahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #23
robsave
AF Newbie

i have the damn problem on my 99 explorer v6 sohc. everytime i start it in the morning and if its been sitting for hours. its starts fine but then it starts to shake like its about to stall and if i dont rev the gas it sometimes stalls. is this a cold start idle problem? iac or intake gaskets?????
robsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #24
asemstr
AF Enthusiast

When it comes down to the top ten things that can go wrong on a sock (I'm sure FordTech4U would agree with me on this!) intake O-rings are right up there with the apalling cam-drive cassete issues! While I put in my time as a FoMoCo tech I lost count of how many manifolds I've resealed before the TSBs reccommending them joined the many camdrive recalls already on my plate! (Just wait till I find the nerd that thought it looked good on paper ) (Getting back on the subject of vaccuum leaks.) The EGR transition bell O-ring on the Sohc and OHV 4.0s with plastic intakes also have a nasty tendency to leak the "suck"!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #25
2001Sport_Traccer
AF Newbie

And yes, I was surprised to see it was 'plastic'. And the condition of the inside of that plastic manifold? Angels Cried. That's all I'm saying...but check the first date of posts by me to this one--it's still running tip-top.

-CWJ
Chattanooga, TN
2001Sport_Traccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
7starmantis
AF Newbie

I've got a 98 sport that has a bit of a rough idle. No stalling yet but its all the time, not just cold start. I'm about to change the plugs and wires and possibly the fuel filter since it needs it anyway probably. My question is the gas addetive you can buy to stop rough idleing and such, are they worth it? Does anyone use a particular one that they found really works?
7starmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #27
bamaeng98
AF Newbie

Rough Idle at Start Up - Recall Repair 0012MC
My dealer did the recall repair for 0012MC which calls for replacing tensioners and low intake manifold gasket. This fixed the problem (the rough idle was caused by a leaking gasket...the tensioner was a side item to replaced under the same recall).

Was getting a lean engine code and after replacing the O2 sensors it still didn't fix it The recall is over now, but replacing the lower intake gasket fixed this problem for me.
-b
bamaeng98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #28
tmh620
AF Newbie

Fordtech4U is right - maybe his handle has something to do with it..... justa thought.

For those that have a 98 4.0 SOHC there are 2 upstream and 2 down stream O2 sensors.

I have a 1998 Sport 4.0 SOHC I purchased at an auction for $2400.00, the CEL was on when I bought it. $2400.00 no body damage or major issues, I can deal with the CEL...

I have experienced all of the issues listed in this thread. Now at 147,000 miles I have a constant CEL on situation and am comfortabler in knowing what the issue is, and probably was all along.

The first time I had it checked out the right side downstream O2 sensor was replaced. CEL came on with in 100 miles. Next time I had it checked I was told that the left side may have gone out due to the right side being replaced. Um, yeah...a good one took out another? Doubtful, but, ok replaced the right side. CEL on within 100 miles. Solution-found a new shop.

I took the Ex to a Ford stealership against all previous experience. Had them do diag on it. O2's all good, possible manifold o-ring leaks. $15.00 in parts and 3 hours in the driveway at home, I have new intake o-rings and no CEL. Good to go for about 8 months.

Three weeks ago CEL comes on. I also notice that gas mileage went from about 280-300 miles a tank full down to about 240-260 miles. I took the Ex back to the dealer and had the codes read. My cats are bad. While I do not wish to deplete the ozone layer and all, $2400.00 for the vehicle and $1390.00 for cats.....I think I'll drive less and leave it parked on ozone action days.......A test pipe might be an option, but I don't want people to think I an an environment hater, you know?

So all in all, my experience tells me, get the car diag'ed at a dealership, they know it better than anyone else does. Diag is an hour's worth of labor in most cases, say $65.00 - $125.00 in some places, for me, here in the motorcity it cost me $95.00.

Something tells me that Fordtech4U knows what he is talking about and if he reccomends you look at something in particular...well, that might be a really good place to start...

out...
tmh620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #29
keeperrunning
AF Newbie

Take a look at the rubber hose connected to the PCV and the rubber grommet that the PCV sits in. If the hose is old and soft, it will collapse under load, which won't allow the valve to work. If the hose is cracked, it will leak. A friend of mine with a '95 Navigator (150,000 miles) had a problem with a rough idle, typically at stop lights, and had all of the things you have described replaced/repaired before a mechanic found that the hose to the PCV was collapsing.
keeperrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #30
Ford_Explorer
AF Newbie

I know this is an old topic but I have the same problem. Rough idle,Stalling and won't stay running when cold. I installed a new IAC valve cleaned the mass air flow and put new plugs and wires plus a fuel filter a while back. Check engine light is on and came up with bank1 and bank2 on the test. Just wondering if i have the problem with my intake gaskets? To the ones who did do the Intake gaskets did this fix the problem and was it a hard project to do? Thanks for any input.
Ford_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac