Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
superbee420
AF Newbie

Jamie McMurray tire quest

Super Bee 420
Oklahoma City, Ok.
This is a history of my quest to document a Jamie McMurray, Roush Fenway, Crown Royal, Ford, NASCAR Sprint Cup tire. (Dang that sounds like I should be getting paid) I started with Goodyear.
My email to Goodyear:
Through a friend that owns a liquor store I have recently acquired a NASCAR tire (no wheel or liner, dang it). According to my friend he received it from the Crown Royal sales rep. for a sales promotion. The sales rep. said the tire was run on the no. 26, Jamie McMurray, Crown Royal, Ford car. The tire has the wear pattern noted in thousands of an inch across it in five places; it is obviously a scuff but shows very little use, it has small parts of the sticker on it. (See images below) After the sales promotion was over Sam placed the tire outside his door on a planter. When I walked past it I knew exactly what it was. I ask Sam about it as I was checking out, with my bottle of Crown Royal (spooky) and he said take it if you want it. Needless to say the tire now has a home in my shop. I would like to document the tire as much as possible. In raised letters on the side wall is says “GOODYEAR, 27.5X12.0-15, FOR RACING PURPOSES ONLY NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE” which leads me to believe it is a racing tire. I know you track your racing tires very closely and the bar code is still on the side wall. Is there a Goodyear rep. in the Oklahoma City area that can read this bar code or some other way I can track the history of this tire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All the best:

PS 03-09-08; the Atlanta race just finished and I’m sorry about what Tony Stuart said about your tires. You also need to change your web site to read Sprint CUP not Nextel CUP and Nationwide not Bush.

The Goodyear reply:
To: xxxxxx.xxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: other
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:23:17 -0400
Dear Bob;
Thank you for contacting our website.
Goodyear does not verify any NASCAR tires, unfortunatley, you have to rely on what you've been told.
Thank you again,
Cindi S.
Consumer Relations

Next I tried Roush Fenway Racing.
My email to Roush Fenway Racing:
Above is the email I sent to Goodyear and the reply I received from them. I have been a NASCAR fan since the 1960’s when if we were lucky we could see one race a year on television. I now attend four to five races a season and watch the rest on television. I am not a spy from another tire manufacture; I’m a retired engineer that restores muscle cars. I currently have a 1966 Mustang project car, a 1965 Mustang show car and a 1971 Charger Super Bee (sorry Jack, 2 out of 3 isn’t bad). Give me a break, I’m just a fan. Call me, email me, come to my home, I don’t care just help me document this tire.
All the best

I received no reply from Roush Fenway.

Next I tried NASCAR.
I sent the above emails to NASCAR and all they could suggest was to post my request in there fan forum. to date I have not received any help.

Next I tried Crown Royal.
I sent the above emails to Crown Royal.

The Crown Royal reply:
May 22, 2008

Thank you for taking time to contact Crown Royal. Your feedback is important to us.

In regards to your inquiry, please note that those tires were courtesy of Goodyear racing. They are authentic NASCAR tires that are either race worn or practice worn from the 2007 and 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. If there is anything else we could help you with now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Once again, thank you for contacting Crown Royal.

Sincerely,

Adriana P
Crown Royal Consumer Representative

It's about quality, not quantity.

Check out www.thebar.com for fabulous drink recipes, party ideas and more

Bingo, finally some hope.

Well that’s where the quest stands at this point. I would like to know where this tire was run, how many laps, on what car, what corner of the car it was on and any other information I can get. In a perfect situation I would like to have written documentation and autographs from anyone who was involved with this tire so I can display it with the tire on my shop wall. Any help on whom to contact and how to contact them would be greatly appreciated.

If you read my entire post you know who I am and what I do. The shop you see in the pictures has heat and A/C and is behind our home. To let you know i'm not making all this up, like so many peoplee do on the internet here are a few other pic's.

My 1965 show car

My 1966 project car

The 289 in ford blue goes in the 1966 project car and the big block 383 goes in the Super Bee

Race on:
Super Bee 420
Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
superbee420
AF Newbie

Re: Jamie McMurray tire quest

What kind of a NASCAR forum is this? This post has been up for almost a week and it’s only had 37 hits and no replies. Can no one out there help with this research? Come on race heads someone out there must know something or someone that can help.
Race on
Superbee420
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: Jamie McMurray tire quest

The only party that would have any information on this is Roush. It would be buried in files that if the tire was used on the old car (not the COT) were likely thrown out long ago.

When Goodyear takes the tire back, they just scan the bar-code so that they know they got it back. They don't track or know what the team did with it while they had it.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR