Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
GNRAxlRose88
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to GNRAxlRose88 Send a message via Yahoo to GNRAxlRose88
A couple more stupid questions...

First off...is the bolt pattern for a 1989 Bronco the same as a 1994 Bronco?

The '89 is a Custom and the '94 is an Eddie Bauer.

I'm wondering because i would like to switch the rims and tires (or at least the tires) on the two vehicles.

Second off, my '89 is eating U-Joints like cereal. The rear u-joint keeps breaking. It broke once in January, once in April, and now it's starting to make the same noises it did when it broke the last few times...when i accelerate it makes a clunking noise. I greased them all and it's still doing it. I'm afraid of being stranded (again.) The last time it went i replaced the yolk that goes into the pumpkin along with the u-joint. Both times they broke in the same spot.

Last but not least, the transmission/transfer case on the '89 shifts when i shift. It's a manual 4 w/ o/d and when i start out in first the whole setup moves towards the passanger side a good 6 inches. It does this in 2nd gear too, but when it gets into the higher gears and reverse it stays in place. i was told a broken tranny mount but are their any other possibilities?

This happened the last time i went mudding...and it wasn't even bad mud, just after a light rainstorm. I don't normally beat on it or speed shift it...but it's beginning to go to hell. The rear main also leaks horribly.

any help?
GNRAxlRose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
baumbr
AF Regular

Re: A couple more stupid questions...

How much lift do you have on the '89? There is such a thing as too much lift and excessive driveline angles that can be resolved with some customization of the driveline.

If your transmission is rotating through 6 inches when starting off be happy that the U-joints are the only things that are breaking. Check your transmission and engine mounts. Replace and repair as needed. Check your engine to bell housing to transmission to transfer case to tail shaft bolts and seams as well. Make sure you haven't sheared anything off and replace and repair as needed.

Good luck.
'91 Chev S-10 Blazer (need to sell)
'92 Geo Tracker (Oldest Son)
'98 Ford Windstar (Daughter's)
'98 Chev Lumina (Wife)
'03 Chev Malibu (Oldest Son)
'07 Toyota Corolla (Daily Commuter)
'54 MG TF 1500 (Long term project)
baumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
GNRAxlRose88
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to GNRAxlRose88 Send a message via Yahoo to GNRAxlRose88

No lift at all...stock suspension. The biggest tires that'll fit on stock are 33s and mine are 32s
GNRAxlRose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
baumbr
AF Regular

OK, Hmmmm......... Check all your transmission and engine mounts. Make sure the rubber in them is good as well. Check rear spring mounts, shackles, axle u-bolts, etc. as well. Check drive shaft for straightness and balance, and that the front and rear u-joints are properly lined up with each other.

When installing new u-joints make sure they get greased, the grease that is in them is just enough to hold the rollers in place. The new joints need to be "relieved" after being pressed in and locked with the circlips. Lightly rap the ears on the drive line a couple of times and move the u-joint through its range to make sure there is no binding. The ears can move slightly inward during the pressing operation and bind the joint.

And finally the obvious, and I know this probably doesn't apply to you, take it out of 4 wheel drive on dry pavement.
'91 Chev S-10 Blazer (need to sell)
'92 Geo Tracker (Oldest Son)
'98 Ford Windstar (Daughter's)
'98 Chev Lumina (Wife)
'03 Chev Malibu (Oldest Son)
'07 Toyota Corolla (Daily Commuter)
'54 MG TF 1500 (Long term project)
baumbr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco