Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Agent51
AF Newbie

Question 97 Eclipse GS-T; Computer Wont Reset, Can't Pass Inspection

The car was sitting for a long period of time with the battery disconnected. I'd say a month, maybe a few weeks more. It needed a head gasket. Once I got everything back up and running (replaced the clutch and speed sensor also) I went to go have it inspected. When it was hooked to the state's computer (state is RI by the way, though that probably makes no difference) something was up and it wouldn't read it right. The guy said the computer probably needs to reset itself since it had been sitting without the battery connected for so long. He said just drive it around and the things usually start resetting themselves (O2 sensor, Catalytic, etc). I put a good 150 miles on it and it still didn't reset. The guy said that happens sometimes and said they could try a "2 stage idle" test instead, but they need the state's permission. The guy came back saying the state declined that request and said you need to put 3-400 miles to reset the computer properly, which the inspection guy told me he gas never heard of (needing that many miles).

I Googled the problem and have come up empty as far as 97 Eclipse results, but I DID find a result about a 2001 Chrysler Minivan where the person had the exact same problem, the computer wouldn't reset so it kept failing inspection. They kept driving it and driving it following advice of mechanics and such, and it still kept failing. Then someone posted about it not being the MILES that reset it, but a certain cycle of driving you do. I'm not exactly sure what the cycle was because I'm on my iPhone and it can't open PDF files.

Could there be something like that for my Eclipse, a certain cycle of things I need to do while driving, and if so does anyone know what it is/where to find it (again, Google wasn't much help)? Also, no codes came up when they checked, and the check engine light isn't on, so it doesn't appear that there are any problems, it just refuses to reset in order to complete the test. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Agent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
jpawl
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Eclipse GS-T; Computer Wont Reset, Can't Pass Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent51 View Post
The car was sitting for a long period of time with the battery disconnected. I'd say a month, maybe a few weeks more. It needed a head gasket. Once I got everything back up and running (replaced the clutch and speed sensor also) I went to go have it inspected. When it was hooked to the state's computer (state is RI by the way, though that probably makes no difference) something was up and it wouldn't read it right. The guy said the computer probably needs to reset itself since it had been sitting without the battery connected for so long. He said just drive it around and the things usually start resetting themselves (O2 sensor, Catalytic, etc). I put a good 150 miles on it and it still didn't reset. The guy said that happens sometimes and said they could try a "2 stage idle" test instead, but they need the state's permission. The guy came back saying the state declined that request and said you need to put 3-400 miles to reset the computer properly, which the inspection guy told me he has never heard of (needing that many miles).

I Googled the problem and have come up empty as far as 97 Eclipse results, but I DID find a result about a 2001 Chrysler Minivan where the person had the exact same problem, the computer wouldn't reset so it kept failing inspection. They kept driving it and driving it following advice of mechanics and such, and it still kept failing. Then someone posted about it not being the MILES that reset it, but a certain cycle of driving you do. I'm not exactly sure what the cycle was because I'm on my iPhone and it can't open PDF files.

Could there be something like that for my Eclipse, a certain cycle of things I need to do while driving, and if so does anyone know what it is/where to find it (again, Google wasn't much help)? Also, no codes came up when they checked, and the check engine light isn't on, so it doesn't appear that there are any problems, it just refuses to reset in order to complete the test. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
me too.i never heard of this at all and i think someone is pulling your leg.i need more info on why the vehicle is not passing in the first place.Emmision readings,readiness monitors,etc...?
I have a older generation eclipse and there is a drive cycle of about 35 miles(one cycle) you must drive to reset the IAC after a long battery disconnect(stalling on decel complaint) but that's all i have for you.
jpawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

On newer cars, it takes a longer time for the ECUs to 'reset' itself. It's not really a reset, but more of a 'relearning' process. All cars have a learning process from the time it was reset. Older cars generally about 50 miles. Newer cars can be 150+ miles.

I would pull the battery for 30 minutes. The reconnect and drive around. Put 50+ miles on and see what happens then.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Agent51
AF Newbie

I belive it says the following is not passing:

Catalyst: Not ready
Evap: Not ready
O2 Sens: Not ready
O2 Sens Htr: Not ready
EGR Sys: Not ready

yet there is no check engine light and no codes come up so the actual O2 sensor and such should be good.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

If they're "not ready" readings but no CEL then you have to keep driving. How many miles total have you put on it now?

75 Monte Carlo

Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Agent51
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-b View Post
If they're "not ready" readings but no CEL then you have to keep driving. How many miles total have you put on it now?
Probably about the same, around 150. I haven't really been driving it since it failed the second time because I don't want to get pulled over and get the good old "10 day fix" summons where I have 10 days to get it inspected, and PROVE it, or I get fined. I'll run it to the store or on other errands here and there but it hasn't been my daily driver lately (didn't think to keep driving because everyone kept telling me it should have reset by now, so I figured it wasn't that).

I'm wondering though if maybe my speedometer may have something to do with it. It started acting up about a month ago. It would register my speed when I was on the gas and then drop to 0 when I let off, or sometimes just stay at 0. I replaced the speed sensor, but that wasn't it so I replaced the gauge cluster thinking the speedo was faulty, but that also wasn't it. It works fine when it's up on a lift and there is no load on the suspension, but when it's on the ground it acts up like that. I've determined (through calling a few different service departments at Mitsubishi dealers plus talking to my mechanic) that it is more than likely just a loose wire or connection (just haven't had time to go through it). I'm wondering if maybe because my speed isn't always registering then maybe the miles also may not be registering, tricking the computer into thinking I haven't gone as many miles as I have thus it thinks I "haven't" gone the amount of miles needed for it to reset? I don't know, just a thought because I'm out of ideas.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Even if you were getting no signal at all from the speed sensor, I dont think it would have anything to do with the readyness of the ECU parameters.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Agent51
AF Newbie

Hmmm, I have no idea then, I was just grasping at anything I could think of.

Does anyone know if there is a suspicious "cycle" of things I should put the car through when driving it (as opposed to just racking up random miles), like I mentioned I found with the Chrysler Minivan in my original post?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

You just have to drive it normal and it will relearn everything. But for it to do this you must actually drive the car, if you are just taking it to the store down the road and never letting it warm up all the way its not going to help
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

I've been reading that these systems are actually registered by engine cycles, not miles. It's just the amount of engine cycles usually amounts to 'x' amount of miles. I understand about the 10 day fix deal, but I believe you just need to let it run. Even if it's just sitting in the driveway idling, just let it sit there for a while.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Jeshado
AF Newbie

I realize this answer 4 years late, But maybe it'll help someone now.
Eclipses and other similar cars have a known defect where the computer will not reset EPA knows about it. They have an "appendix J" that tells the Smog Test person to test as is and ignore the monitors readiness. It's called testability
There are at least 30 cars that have known problems.
My Eclipse would never reset. I called Ca. BAR & they directed me to the Testability memo. If You search Appendix J you'll find the new directive. Most states will honor it. Some Smog people will argue like the first one I went to. I went to the next guy & had no problems
Jeshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Manwhorelio
AF Newbie

Uggh yes there IS a drive cycle. It's rather complicated and I'll try to remember it as best as I can. I tried to reset my prelude 4 different times, putting 50 or so miles on it every time and then taking it back to the smog station where it would fail..

My buddy who's a mechanic genius knew the old school "drive cycle" reset. It was.. let it sit and idle for 5 minutes or so.. then drive it at 20-25mph (but not higher) for 3-5 miles.. then get it up to 50mph or so, but not above 55mph and go for another 5 miles or so. Then you're done. I did this and took it back in and it passed. I'm pretty damn sure that's the drive cycle but I may have missed something.
Manwhorelio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis