Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
bvlauralee
AF Newbie

Exclamation **survey** for DIY fuel sending unit

ok, after reading up on this for days I want a head count on who has actually successfully bent the "wiper arm" back to the correct position in the contact after corrosion or whatever , and had it work.
how long did it last?
who has just went ahead and replaced the fsu? how long did that one last?

also, any tips for doing this yourself would be helpful, my husband is going to tackle it tomorrow and see how bad the old fsu is and decide to either adjust the old one or buy a new one, I'm concerned about him removing the fuel tank. any advice? he swears he knows how to do it but....

PS...I have a 1999 honda passport ex 4wd

Last edited by bvlauralee; 12-11-2009 at 11:08 AM.
bvlauralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Re: **survey** for DIY fuel sending unit

Dropping a fuel tank is easier than most people think. You might need some quick disconnect tools to get the fuel lines loose. Not sure on that. You can usually buy a set of plastic ones that will do the job for about 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

The problem with the fuel sending unit is that they didn't make the contact conductors resistant to ethanol in the gas. The new ones are resistant. The arm being bent is probably not the reason why the gauge doesn't work.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
bvlauralee
AF Newbie

Re: **survey** for DIY fuel sending unit

well, I have read that the problem is th ethanol in the gas causes corrosion on the arm so it doesnt contact correctly, and if you bend the arm to the correct position where it gets contact it should work as long as it's not burnt down to a nub and doesnt have enough slack to reach, we'll see, he's under there as we speak dropping the tank, I'll let you all know how it works out.

after this, he'll be checking the vaccum lines to see if thats what's causing the four wheel drive light to constantly blink when disengaged. whole nother issue there....
bvlauralee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
fuel , gas , gauge , sending , tank
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU