Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
mlski
AF Newbie

2002 Frontier 4 cyl Automatic loses power

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem:

Truck runs normal on first start and trip. When making a seperate trip back truck starts fine but when it hits 40 MPH and 2000RPM, the engine has no power. It idles back down and when it is below 40MPH and 2000 RPM, you can give it gas and it will go back up to 40 MPH and repeat the problem. There are no engine lights on and no codes stored. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
mlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
mlski
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Frontier 4 cyl Automatic loses power

Anybody?? No ideas?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
deck60
AF Newbie

well how about some info how may miles do you have on it and how long is this trip sounds like fuel delivery to me you might try some injector cleaner but look at th active ingredients if it say spetrolium distilates put it back you might as well put in diesel fuel as that stuff i dont know what you have for stores here is a product called greased lightining k mart sells it or try a couple ounces of acetone per 10 gal wont hurt you fuel system and you might get a couple miles to the gallon better mileage acetone breaks down some of the additives tht the petro companies put in for fuel stability they use molecule incapulaiors as a storage product
deck60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
mlski
AF Newbie

Well, the truck has about 70,000 miles on it. The first trip length varies from a few miles to 20 miles. The problem starts almost immediately during a second trip. The fuel system has never been cleaned as far as I know. The most puzzling thing about this , is that there are no codes thrown. Maybe because the engine doesn't die? It almost acts as a govenor kicks in at 40MPH. Although, the problem hasn't occurred in a few days.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #5
deck60
AF Newbie

2 things come to mind besides cleaning the fuel system and replacing the fuel filter aircleaner ect the usual things 1 plugged cat convertor 2 plugged or internal damaged muffler
deck60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

sounds like a few things.. For Starts a cloged gas filter can make cars do funny things. Does the car not idle ? Maybe you have a vacum leak? You siad it will not go past 40mph ? will the rpms go over 2k ? If you gave more of an idea what it is doing i may be able to lead you in some sorta direction
FixUrNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
mlski
AF Newbie

When the problem occurs, the engine never dies (it idles fine) It just won't accelerate over 40 MPH and 2000 RPM. I checked and reseated all the sensor connectors I could find under the hood and the problem hasn't reoccurred. I did change the fuel filter anyway, just to be safe. Very strange this condition wouldn't throw any codes.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
mlski
AF Newbie

The truck has been running good, but yesterday it displayed the symptom 1 time, then was OK again. Does anyone think clogged cat or muffler? Still wondering why no codes????
Old 04-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
mlski
AF Newbie

UPDATE: No further problems so far, keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
mlski
AF Newbie

Well, the same problem is back! This time I figured out the pattern better. Definitely something to do with wetness. I went through a car wash with the underbody spray and as soon as I pulled out on the street, the problem happened. (Engine will not give power above 2000RPM's) I drove the car home and let it sit over the weekend and it was fine. Then a few days ago it was raining real hard with alot of water on the street. And after driving in this for about 5 miles, the problem happened again. So it seems something under the body or in the engine compartment is getting wet and causing this problem, Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
mlski
AF Newbie

No ideas?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
srpope80
AF Newbie

Check your spark plug wires for arcing (If this truck does not have direct coils on each plug)...... (Easiest way is to grap the wires while running; if you feel a tingle - bam!) I have seen this on numerous Jaguars, my sister's VW Jetta and my Mother's Olds Aurora. Just lurking here; thinking about getting a Frontier 4 cyl as a Daily Driver... Need a good little truck with good gas mileage. Does everyone like theirs/experienced major nagging problems?

-Scott
srpope80 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara