Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 12:53 AM   #1
olds88
AF Enthusiast

having problems with your chrysler???

hello if u have a problem and cannot figure it out try asking me and i might be able to help ohh credencels include 4 ase certs and 6 state of michigan certs also any thing to do with a auto trans i canot help u .

what is the world coming to???
olds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 12:20 AM   #2
MiltSA
AF Newbie

I'll take your challenge

I have a 95 neon that appears about ready to give out. The AC seems to have a small leak. The Freon lasts a season and then give out. Anyway, today while driving there was a loud screech from the engine. I turned the AC off and the screech disappeared. I turned the AC back on and it screeched again till I turned it off. Like an idiot, I turned it on again after about 5 minutes. It didn't screech but the air wasn't cool and when I pulled off the highway about 2 minutes later the car started smoking. I turned off the AC and pulled into the nearest parking lot. By the time I got to the parking lot the engine stopped smoking. I took a chance and drove the 10 miles it took to get home. I had to stop several times and never saw smoke again.

Here's the question. I want to buy a new car and I'm wondering if I can can consider the car safe if I don't use the Air Conditioner. I'd like to be able to drive it while I search for a car. Can I test it somehow? If I drive it around the neighborhood without seeing the smoke can I consider it okay (as long as I don't turn on the AC) Any thoughts?
MiltSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 12:35 AM   #3
olds88
AF Enthusiast

well the problem is that your ac compressor is locked up and when you turn the ac on it engages the comperssor clutch causing the belt
to "slide" on the pully causing the smoke. caution on the neon the ac belt also runs the p/s pump if you destroy the belt you will be without power stering.

as safty goes just dont use the ac and if you live in a place were it gets cold and you turn the front window defroster on you will have to disconect the ac clutch wire witch is located on the front of the engine on the ac compressor.

i hope i have helped you out

what is the world coming to???
olds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 08:42 AM   #4
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks, it sounds like as long as I leave the AC off I'm okay.
MiltSA is offline   Reply With Quote