Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
AZvet
AF Newbie

Question Dodge Dart Power Steering

Hi to all of you folks. I'm a newbie on here and need a little help.

My son purchased a 1974 Dodge Dart Special Edition with a 318 in pretty good shape (Arizona car). I have had to replace the power steering pump and hoses to correct some leaks, and now it looks like there is a leak in the power steering box itself.

I'm in my 60's and I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace the power steering box on that car. Do I need special tools (pullers or others)?, and how does the steering column connect to the power steering box itself? How much time should I expect this to take to replace the box itself?

Are these units available through NAPA or other suppliers as rebuilt units?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I'm usually a GM person, and this is my first MoPar.

Any help is appreciated.
AZvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
powerplating
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to powerplating
Some tools

I have a 73 charger 318 car with the same steering gear box as your dart you will a good set of tools the only specialty tool I can think of would be a pickle fork to remove the pitman arm from the gear box .
First unbolt the column from the inside of the car at the dash and floor board where the column hooks to the G/B it is simply a bolt and clamp system then slide the column off the G/B remove you P/S lines and remove the pitman arm bolt and loosen with the pickle fork the G/B is bolted directly to the frame remove these bolts and you have it out not much different from GM products really you should be able to find that G/B at any auto parts store
good luck
I hope this helps
Jim Eaton
powerplating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
AZvet
AF Newbie

Re: Some tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplating
I have a 73 charger 318 car with the same steering gear box as your dart you will a good set of tools the only specialty tool I can think of would be a pickle fork to remove the pitman arm from the gear box .
First unbolt the column from the inside of the car at the dash and floor board where the column hooks to the G/B it is simply a bolt and clamp system then slide the column off the G/B remove you P/S lines and remove the pitman arm bolt and loosen with the pickle fork the G/B is bolted directly to the frame remove these bolts and you have it out not much different from GM products really you should be able to find that G/B at any auto parts store
good luck
I hope this helps
Jim Eaton

Thanks Power.

It doesn't sound as bad as I might have thought. The G/B is very oily from leaks and also valve cover leaks so bad that I can't even see the clamp system on the steering column, or the bolts on the frame. Super messy around there. I was able to locate the G/B at NAPA, got it ordered and will have it tomorrow.
Hopefully I can get it done in a day or two (if my body holds up) after I clean things up enough to see what I'm working on.

Your help is much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Andrewh
AF Newbie

Re: Dodge Dart Power Steering

I don't have anything that new, but in the 68-70 range, the steering is held onto the box with a roll pin. If you can find that, you don't have to disassemble the coupling. You may also have to jack up the motor a bit for it to clear getting it out.
Andrewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
AZvet
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Dodge Dart Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewh
I don't have anything that new, but in the 68-70 range, the steering is held onto the box with a roll pin. If you can find that, you don't have to disassemble the coupling. You may also have to jack up the motor a bit for it to clear getting it out.
Thanks Andrew. I'll look around for a roll pin once I get the area de-greased. That would be similar to what I used on my street rod with a GM column to Mustang rack configuration. I know that the Dart is a tight fit between the engine/steering column.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical