Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
DeltaTac0
AF Newbie

300ZX- Practical?

So, I'm about to sell my truck ('02 Frontier) to get a car. I want something that's really fun to drive and now, with the ridiculous gas prices, something that's not going to absolutely KILL me on money. Anyway, I have happened to take a particular liking to the 300 z's...I think they look absolutely awesome (even better than the 350s) and you don't see many around where I live. I'm 18 years old...so I'll be off in college in about a year and probably won't be driving a lot. I hear that the 300s get poor gas mileage and that they have to run on premium gas, but I didn't know if it was really that bad. My MAIN concern is the age of the car....I really want to know if I would just be better off looking somewhere else, as I am not in it for collecting or anything! I'm also looking at Celica GTS's....power isn't my main concern- I want something that can turn heads, is fun to drive, and gets relatively good gas mileage, preferably under $10-12 k

thanks! i'm just looking for opinions

BTW- I'm NOT looking for TTs
DeltaTac0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: 300ZX- Practical?

Zs get in the low 20s for gas mileage. Anything less than 18 mpg or so likely indicates a problem. Premium gas is a requirement.

If you can find a clean Z with no major problems and do basic maintenance yourself it's not going to break the bank. A good, clean non-turbo Zs can usually be had for $3,000-6,000 depending on the area.

Celicas suck.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
DeltaTac0
AF Newbie

That's better than my 15-17 mpg in this truck....
What about the age? Have you driven a Celica? I like them purely on the styling!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Age of the car is less of a factor than maintenance.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

z's are not practical... you will spend money on them reguardless of what you think now.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
mwolvin
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
z's are not practical... you will spend money on them reguardless of what you think now.

C'mon. Give your car more credit than that. . . .

I have an '88 Z and get 24 MPG on average on regular gas. Over the 2 years that I've had it, it's needed about $500 in parts. That includes regular maintenance.

Celica === FWD === doesn't belong in a sportscar. You'll have way more fun with RWD.
mwolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

z's have never been practical... 2 seats are not practical, 2.3 seats are not practical.sports cars are not meant to be practical, that's just fine... it's a fun toy and a good DD if you're just using it to go back and forth and not haul anything, or worrying about gas prices.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
DeltaTac0
AF Newbie

Thanks for the comments, guys

I'm now seriously looking to purchase one, but I'm have a hell of a time finding what I want for a decent price. I'm looking, preferably, for a '93-96 NA manual with under 100k miles that is under $11-12k and doesn't look like it got the crap beaten out of it; NOT a convertible. I've been checking out all the places: ebay, craigslist, autotrader, cars.com, twinturbo.net, etc....there are a ton of beaters out there! Let me know if you see one or have one that resembles my preferences
Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

The under 100k miles requirement is probably going to kill it. The newest Z32s are now 12 years old. The oldest are pushing twenty. You're going to have a very hard time finding one under 100k miles. If you find something 150k (slightly more common) that looks clean don't hesitate to consider at least looking at it.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
DeltaTac0
AF Newbie

Cool. I'm just picky with mileage....how long do you think these engines will go if taken care of properly?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

If they are cared for properly there is no reason that they won't last 250-300k miles.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTac0
Cool. I'm just picky with mileage....how long do you think these engines will go if taken care of properly?

My NA 95 has 150k on it and is fine. Had to replace a few hoses and of course regular wear items. Had the fuel pressure regulator go out but after 13 years I think thats a little thing.

As for finding one in your price range way easy. Finding a clean one in that price range is even easy. But make sure you look over them carefully. You dont want one that has been "drifted", which has become the new rice to me. Its still cool but TOO many kids are just drifting into other cars nowdays.

Common items on a Z32 that needs replaced.. Fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and damper, powersteering line high pressure and low pressure, Timing belt, cam seals, and door/T-top seals.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
...ladies
AF Newbie

If your going with purely styling and want to turn heads i say get an na. idk 4 or 5 grand that needs a paint job. get a stillen body kit. i like the gtx-r2 front bumper the best. then get some custom but classy paint. then maybe some of those ferrari like tail lights. painted to match the car ofcourse. thatd be fun. and would definitly turn some heads.
just my 2 cents
...ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Oh god.... body kits.... I HATE body kits. Even Stillen's. If you have to have one, then just go with the 98 JDM front end. Get the HID conversions for your lights. You dont need a shopping cart wing, or anything other than stock. The Ferrari tail lights are just gay. Its a Z not a Italian 3 legged horse. Depending on the color of the Z32, get either the JDM tails or keep the stock ones.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

Bahaha, this post amuses me.

how could you even compare a GTS to a Z?

honestly there's nothing with a high milage Z. If you take care of it, it wont blow up on you but you'll have fun getting your hands dirty fixing her.

if you do get one, dont beome a drifter arround the city, and PLZ no APC Crap.

a body kit is cool if you want to look cool as the fast cars dive by, but at least make a urathane front bumper.

ive see some deceont Z's between 130k-190k for abour 2,500 to 3,500. anything more better be MINT or LOW miles. and a replaced engine dosn't count.
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)