Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #16
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter Bug

he??? last time i checked i was a she. let me check again..........yup. still a she.

Becca
Can I check just to make sure?
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:15 PM   #17
Scooter Bug
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Scooter Bug Send a message via Yahoo to Scooter Bug
Quote:
Originally posted by HamsterStyle
First of all, pardon my ignorance. What is a K20? RSX possibly? And correct me if I am wrong but isn't the older swap only illegal if you get emissions tests done? I live in Indy and we don't have to have our cars tested so there would never be a way for them to tell. Just my $.02

tommy
yes the k20 is in the RSX. and yes it would only be illegal to put an older motor into another newer car if you have to pass emissions. I think (don't quote me). I'm thinking thought that it would still be illegal considering it is a federal law not just a state law. But you still may want to check into that.

Quote:
Can I check just to make sure?
No frostbyte you may not check . you can trust me.

Becca
Old 04-10-2002, 06:29 PM   #18
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeffie7 Send a message via AIM to jeffie7
how many people here have JDM engines in there civics? I do and I know alot of other people that do yes you need it to be the same year or newer but you don't drive up to the smog station pop your hood and say I just put a older engine in my car just keep your mouth shut and let your car pass =)

as for the newer civics its much harder to get them to pass smog since they have a much harder test to pass more strict

same for 96+ civics they are harder to pass then 95 and under

anyways sure the law says you can't but then again whats the point of putting it in if your going to fallow the law then you can't go over 55 on the main roads or spin tires or take off fast from a light or or or....

bottom line on why you CAN"T put a B engine in a newer honda is honda has always build there engines to spin the wrong way "VS other companys" thats why the engine is on the driver side VS most cars having it on the passager side if you look into it "if I remember right" honda started to make engines for GM so they rebuild the engines to spin the other direction thats why you will see the new civics/RSX with the engine turned around exhuast on the back side and intake on the front VS the old exhuast right up front

you could put a B engine in a newer civics but it would take alot of work since everythings backwards and Im sure the motor mounts don't line up like our older civics/tegs

if you do anything with a 2001+ civic I would say drive it becuase its kinda dumb to swap out a 20K mile or less engine atlest get some miles on it first plus the new engines are showing to be pretty powerful still in the first stages of being tuned but I bet in a few years they will be the next B engine just look at the torque #s much better then the old SI even tho the older SI was quicker and had a more race feeling to it

anywho if anything swap a RSX engine or sell your car buy a 92 civic with blown engine swap a B18 then turbo it and do the body kit paint and whole 9 yards and still have money left over to pay your other bills

15K in a 92 could get you very far plus its about 400-500 LBS lighter=) thats a 1/2 sec right there
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #19
Scooter Bug
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Scooter Bug Send a message via Yahoo to Scooter Bug
very well said thanks for clarifying that.

Becca
Old 05-01-2002, 11:46 AM   #20
Vizyun
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vizyun
B16 is a no-no in 7th gens.

Unfortunately, the B16 series engines definitely will not fit into a 7th gen civic. The engine bay is too small. The only option ( that don't require major body work) currently being discussed (and in at least one instance, attempted) is a swap for the k20A2 (RSX-S) engine. The D17A2 engine in 7th gens doesn't respond well to modification, and is very limiting. HAsport is currently fabricating motor mounts to undergo the swap, but there are limiting factors such as the engine sitting on the opposite side of the engine bay and rotating in the opposite direction, let alone possible loss of A/C and power steering (as if we need that ). I have plans for a k20 swap in the future, but not until the price for an engine drops below $3000, and maybe not even unless I can get the JDM 2002 ITR engine, which makes I think 220hp, compared to the RSX-S 200hp.

--William D. Dingle
Vizyun is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical