Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

1965 Ferrari 275 GTB

This is a Vroom brand 1/43rd resin kit. The body is pretty thin and feels a bit delicate and somewhat brittle. Overall it's a good casting with moderate to mild surface texture and has that aromatic smell that some people hate. (It sparks fond memories for me.)
The flash in the windows is not even paper thin on the left, but heavier on the right side so that will have to be addressed when fitting the glass.

There is also a fissure along the right front fender by the louvers, (most likely from a worn or cracked mold). It may sand out, but it could need filler to retain the shape of the nicely rendered body.

There were several skinned over holes on the bottom of the body. Rather than risk them being an issue later I "popped" them, shaved out the edges and filled the holes with CA.

A coat of primer just on the bottom shows those issues are close to fully fixed and I will move onto cleaning up the top sides of the body. It also shows another one of those fissures in the right side rocker…
Scale-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB

Turns out this resin actually is quite nice to work with; not as brittle as it first seemed. It is relatively hard, but it takes scribing well.
I had to remove a good amount of material from the insides of the right window area to get the windows the fit properly.

All the panel lines, louvers and trim were scribed in. The little fissures were sanded out with no need for filler. I also drilled holes for the wipers and the filler caps.
One of the caps is missing from the kit parts, but I have an extra from the TR250 I just finished that will fit perfectly.

The B pillar was so thin on the left side that the louvers became open when I cleaned them up. I put a piece of thin Tamiya tape on the inside to close them.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Those Vroom kits are so nice, maybe some of the best detailed castings. And he had an eye for shapes and did alot of oddball race Porsches over the years. I think this is the best 1/43rd #6885 model. Tameo did it in metal but it was an early effort. BBR also did it in built up but I never could get a kit version.
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

It's comparable to the BBR Ferrari kits I've built. I prefer to work with this resin over really hard resin BBR uses. But the BBR kits seem to have better/crisper details. I definitely prefer doing the window trim in foil like this one will get compared to the PE trim BBR used on some.

The windows were vacuum formed as one piece. I cut the rear window off and was able to make the sides and windshield fit as one piece.
The four headlight covers are molded in the piece on the right.

The headlight covers are less than a quarter inch at the largest point, the driving lights are less than a tenth of an inch.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

The kit comes with these nice preassembled wheels and tires. Unfortunately two are missing the knock-offs…
Old 05-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

Looks like I got lucky; after some searching I found a pair of Precision Miniatures Ferrari Lusso knock-offs I can donate to replace the missing ones.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

After a day of chasing tiny pinholes I primed the body for the yellow with a nice even coat of white. There's a better than 50/50 chance that most of the pinholes would be filled in by the paint, but it wasn't worth the gamble.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #8
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

I decanted and airbrushed Tamiya TS-47 Chrome yellow for the color. I built it up in four light coats spanning two days to get an even but not heavy finish. I'm not worried about the orange peel on the left front fender; it looks worse than it really is, and it will get cut and buffed before clear coating.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #9
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

The interior is fairly simple. The seats are molded to the chassis. I used some old Testors for the blue on the seats. The shifter is a straight pin cut down to fit; provided by the kit.

The dash has some nicely molded in detail, so I hand painted it with silver and gray and used clear gloss for the gauge faces. I didn't see the need to make gauge decals since visibility is limited through the windows. Getting the dash to line up with the windshield opening was fun. A tiny drop of 5 minute epoxy was used to tack it into place while the body was on the chassis so I could slide it around until it was properly positioned. Then it was reinforced with CA after it was dry enough to remove.

I did the wood grain on the steering wheel a bit heavy to show up through the windows when it is assembled.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

I started doing the chrome trim. I blacked out around the windshield and rear window to look like the rubber seals. As you can see the front fender no longer has orange peel…

The headlights are Mylar backed lenses. The pressure sensitive glue had lost its stickiness so I cemented them in. I had masked off the hood scoop opening with liquid mask before painting the yellow to retain some detail.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #11
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

I installed the clear headlight covers too. The recess they fit into is about as deep as the covers are thick. Installing them after clear coating would make them not fit flush at all. Hopefully the clear will help make them flow with the body even more.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

Well that's unfortunate…
Old 05-09-2022, 02:03 AM   #13
Deathtrap
AF Regular

That is becoming pretty nice again. And yellow is my personal favorite colour. Gives the car some sunshine.
But a damn shame from that decal.

I still need to give it a try, but you might consider is creating your own decals (assuming you also can't print white). I want to give the hot laminator a try on laser printed decal paper. Just print your design on a decal sheet (needs to be laser printed) then apply the right foil (white in this case) and then push it through a laminator. Here's an example on a crafts site: https://youtu.be/BNBvNzvJGH0?t=653

As said... I really need to buy such a machine and give it a try... the stuff is reasonably affordable.
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #14
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

Thanks!
You may notice my avatar and screen name? My real job is running Scale-Master Decals.
I've already drawn up new ones and printed a set, including the white roundels.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale-Master View Post
You may notice my avatar and screen name? My real job is running Scale-Master Decals.
Lol... whoops. Nope, I hadn't noticed that before. Well fan I guess this is the easiest part of the build.
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports