Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
corrrado
AF Regular

Very British 2 Belkits MG Metro 6R4 Tony Pond

Finally, modelers could get their hands on a proper plastic Metro kit, thanks to Belkits’ great release. The MG Metro 6R4 was a very unique car in many sense, it was the smallest Gr.B car and had a normally aspirated 3 liter V6 engine stuffed in the mid-rear of the tiny car. All of its’ development was done by Tony Pond who drove the car to a respectful 3rd place on its’ international debut, despite tackling flu through the entire 1985 RAC Rally. Although the car was somewhat outclassed with its’ 400 HP engine, next year Pond achieved some great results with the car, like his fourth win on the Manx. The car also brought some good results for other drivers on international and national level, Jimmy Mcrae, Malcolm Wilson and David Llevellin achieved some great results with it.

The Belkits kit is really well done in every respect. Proportions are spot on and the level of details are superb! Both the interior and engine room is well detailed, some can build a great model straight out of the box! The only drawbacks are the tyres which has a particular half-fit on the rims with some rather poorly represented Michelin gravel tyre patterns. I corrected the rear edge of the rear fenders which are a bit too rounded but that is the only thing, the rest of the body is superb! Strange thing what I found, that none of the two released kits has the option the represent the most successful driver of the car, Tony Pond… I built the Triumph TR7 of Pond before and named that thread Very British, so this is the Very British - 2. Hopefully there will be more

When I received the kit, I had no doubt that I want to build a car, driven by Pond. My only question was whether it should be the RAC or the Manx car. I have the excellent decals from Decalcas for the RAC version and I made the decals for the Manx myself. I also knew that I wanted to make the car with the tarmac wheels fitted which - in my opinion gives the best looking Metro. I already purchased the excellent tarmac wheels from KMP Models. Those wheels look really great, I strongly recommend the investment to someone who wants to build the tarmac spec car. I started the build three weeks ago so I managed to advance a bit. I scratchbuilt the engine pulley cover to represent – first of all the offset of the pulley cover according to the nature of the V6 - and the earlier spec alternator configuration as my reference showed. I also modified the interior in some places according the contemporary photos and cut off the molded on details in the engine bay. Since I want to build the car with an openable rear hatch to show the engine bay, I needed to eliminate the rear cross member from the kit and transform the rear part of the wheelarches. The fiberglass lower part was represented with rough, thick acrylic paint dabbed with flat brush to achieve the texture. Lot’s of people doing it with kevlar, but in reality there was no visible kevlar texture on the early cars. Even the back of the seats were a type of gelcoat covered kevlars with no texture. I hope to get the rear hatch hinges fixed soon and get the engine in the chassis. This is how the build so far:

Last edited by corrrado; 03-06-2021 at 03:56 PM.
corrrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
corrrado
AF Regular

Re: Very British 2 Belkits MG Metro 6R4 Tony Pond

Old 03-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
corrrado
AF Regular

Old 03-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
Kaj45rpm
AF Regular

I'm delighted to see you building this kit into a masterpiece.
I have this kit in my stash and the details look great.
Belkits have managed to get Nigel Harris name wrong on the decals which is a disappointment.
The blue colour seems to vary from photo to photo.
I have purchased Tamiya LP6 which looks a good match.
Great choice with the Tony Pond car. He was a great driver and loyal to Austin Rover cars. He did the development on the 6R4 so it's a shame his name wasn't the kit subject.
Kaj45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaj45rpm For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-27-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
corrrado
AF Regular

Thanks Kaj45rpm! Yes it's too bad that Pond's car is not included in the kits.

About the blue, as you said there are different shades showing up and I haven't decided about the color. I have to buy and see that Tamiya LP6 you've recommended. Here are some more clear photos of the base of the engine so far, still long way to finish it though, lots of cables, hoses, manifold and the intake trumpets with the airfilter need to be added:

Old 03-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
JesusM
AF Enthusiast

Wow!! Good start with a lot of tips to use in my models: thanks for sharing them!!
JesusM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesusM For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-27-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

wow! great meticulous detail.. granted you don't have the time the engine; and get a friend with a hoist to help stab it, but still very time consuming AND rewarding..
and i love all the scuff marks on the floor board.. anyone who's been in a racecar knows it can look new and pristine outside (at the start), but right near that clutch and brake pedal has a hole almost worn through to play fred flintstone..
can't wait to see completion.
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
corrrado
AF Regular

Thank you JesusM, you are also an ispiration for me . You are right ctesla about the floor of a racing car, I was driving myself in rally for some years, so I experienced the wear and tear in the interior of the car. Those remaine my inspiration sources

I advanced a bit with the engine, I put the injection rails and the excellent Scaleproduction intake trumpets in place. Next thing will be the wireing and plumbing the engine.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
corrrado
AF Regular

Some advance in the interior, dash is finished. Still long way to go, seats, seatbelts, rollcage, doorpanels and the intercom needs to be added:

Old 03-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
proosen
AF Enthusiast

Looking good in every aspect!
Going to follow your build as I got the decals and left hand dashboard for Per Eklund's Metro from the 1986 RAC .

/Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to proosen For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-27-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #11
360spider
AF Moderator

Great model building right there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360spider For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-27-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
chris24
AF Regular

Love this combo man/machine, love this build !
chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris24 For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
corrrado
AF Regular

Thank you Chris, Pond is one of my favourite as well, he was an extraordinary driver and a humble but funny person as well. Little advance on the engine of the Metro, I added some tubing around the injection system from 0,3mm lead wires and detailed some liquid containers. Still long way to go though...

Old 03-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #14
JesusM
AF Enthusiast

Very good update: the detail done is very real!!!
JesusM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesusM For This Useful Post:
corrrado (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
corrrado
AF Regular

Thank you Jesus! I really appreciate your words! Litte advance on the engine-bay, I installed the engine into the chassis, glued the exhaust drums in place. I made the airfilters from dense resin-foam material, called epowood to show some texture. I'll have difficulties to apply the decals on the top but l plan to use lot's of decal softener to settle it properly. The other updates, including the scratchbuilt oil container and oil filter are being mounted.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports