Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics
Buick Classics Discuss older classics here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Spotticus
AF Newbie

Just bought a 76 century, got carb problems.

I just recently bought a 76 century v6. The person who owned it before me said that there was a problem with the carberator, after inspection it turns out the threads on the gas inlet are stripped out. i couldnt find a tapper that would go up to that size, so i bought a carb out of a junkyard off the same year and model, but a v8. the new carb will start the car and let it idle, but it chokes out when i start driving it. the v8 carb has an inlet on the front that the v6 doesnt have, could this be the reason that the car wont drive? and if it is that inlet, is there any way to convertit to work on a v6?
Spotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Spotticus
AF Newbie

Problems with a 76 century

I just recently bought a 76 century v6. The person who owned it before me said that there was a problem with the carberator, after inspection it turns out the threads on the gas inlet are stripped out. i couldnt find a tapper that would go up to that size, so i bought a carb out of a junkyard off the same year and model, but a v8. the new carb will start the car and let it idle, but it chokes out when i start driving it. the v8 carb has an inlet (vacuum?) on the front that the v6 doesnt have, could this be the reason that the car wont drive? and if it is that inlet, is there any way to convert it to work on a v6?

and also, if anyone happens to know where i could get ahold of the vacuum diagrams, that would be awesome. ive already checked every auto part store in my area, and went to a dealership. noone has them, not even the repair manuals everyone told me to look at had them.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Problems with a 76 century

Make sure the inlet fuel filter is not clogged, then it may need an overhaul, no? Chokes out is vague, floods, starves for gas?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Just bought a 76 century, got carb problems.

What you describe happens when the main jet is clogged.
The car will idle all day because the idle circuit is clear. But when you step on the gas, the increased air flow means fuel should start to flow through the main jet. But if its clogged, there is no fuel flow and the engine dies. If this is the case, the carb will need a full rebuild and cleaning.

The alternative is the choke pull-off diaphram is broken or not hooked up to the correct vacuum source.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

What you describe happens when the main jet is clogged.
The car will idle all day because the idle circuit is clear. But when you step on the gas, the increased air flow means fuel should start to flow through the main jet. But if its clogged, there is no fuel flow and the engine dies. If this is the case, the carb will need a full rebuild and cleaning.

The alternative is the choke pull-off diaphram is broken or not hooked up to the correct vacuum source.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Spotticus
AF Newbie

I was working on it yesterday, and the carb is flooding out. would that happen if the jets were clogged?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

This carb needs to come apart, you will see whats when this happens, the jets clogged would cause no power and hesitation.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Torch
AF Regular

Flooding can also be caused by the float going bad, the float valve going bad, or something getting in the way of the float valve that keeps it from closing, but you will need to take the carb apart to figure out what is wrong.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics