Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Buick Classics Discuss older classics here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
430-4
AF Newbie

buick olds pontiac 350's

hi, can someone tell me if buick olds & pontiac 350's from the late 60's & early 70's are roughly the same physical size? in other words would a buick 350 be a fairly easy swap into a pontiac or olds that came with a 350 from that era? THANKS!!!
430-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
430-4
AF Newbie

Re: buick olds pontiac 350's

really? no-one can help with this? i have tried to help others, hope i didnt offend someone. thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

For some reason, I overlooked this thread

Yes they will fit, quite easily. These 3 divisions shared several 'bodies', that is, they shared the same basic chassis, body shells etc, yet installed their own engines.

For example, the 1968-'72 'A'-body was shared. The Olds Cutlass, Buick Skylark and Pontiac Lemans/GTO were basically the same underneath, but came with their own divisions 350 engines (among others)

They even shared transmissions, too, which will interchange. However, these 3 divisions' transmissions will not fit any Chevrolet engine.

If you do swap an engine, get the correct engine mounts. For example, if you want to put a Buick 350 engine in an Olds Cutlass, use the Buick Skylark engine mounts, not the Olds ones.

However, note there are many exceptions to this rule, and problems will occur with some combinations. Exactly what kind of swap were you looking at?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
430-4
AF Newbie

hi, thanks a bunch for the info! i thought they were probably close since as you said the chasis on the a bodies were pretty much the same. but since i had not done this type of swap thought i would check with some one who had a little more knowledge. i have a good running buick 350 i pulled from my 72 skylark & installed a 430 from a 69 riviera gs, (hence my user name 430-4). i have found a few other interesting gm's that are in need of an engine but didnt want to get in too deep because of other ongoing projects. the car i was really considering was a 72 cutlass that came with a 350. i would think that wouldnt be too hard. since then some other interesting cars have become available. 66 tempest that came with a 326 is a front runner. do you think that would be a fairly easy swap or not? keep in mind i realize almost anything can be done but i'm not looking to get into any MAJOR fabricating or reworking on this one. also how about 72 buick 350 into earlier skylarks, such as 67 that came with a 340. thanks again for your help!!! i'm going to check right now to see if i can help someone else.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics