Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Brenton1
AF Newbie

Any advice please?

I know very little about cars and could really use some advice! Anyways, I just got an oil change done and the mechanic told me there were all these problems with my car. Basically I have no money right now and need cheap solutions for the next few months until I have more money. Could you please take a look and tell me what you think?

1.Power steering pump - replace (leaking)

2. Power steering hose - replace (sweating)

3. Power steering system flush

4. Steering gear assembly - replace (leaking)

NOTE: as for 1-4, I was told by a friend as long as I keep the power steering fluid topped off constantly, I should be ok for the next few months.

5. Cooler lines (Transmission lines leaking)

NOTE: I have no idea about this one and what to do. Any advice for a temporary fix? What happens if I leave it to long?

6.Water pump - replace (leaking)
NOTE: I have had a coolant leak for a year but I just keep topping it off. Will this temporarily fix the water pump problem? How long can I get away with it for?

7. Replace Intake manifold Gaskets (leaking)
NOTE: Same as above, will topping off my car with coolant be a temporary solution for a few months?

Please if you have any knowledge on anything here, please respond. I can't afford the 1,700$ bill to get this all fixed right now and I love my car. It's a 1999 Pontiac Grand AM Se.

Thanks a ton!
Brenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Any advice please?

First off, are you capable of doing any repairs yourself? Do you even have tools?

Second, is this a 3.1/3.4 or 2.4?

Did your power steering fluid ever get low enough, to cause the pump to make noise? Were you previously topping off PS fluid?

Transmission cooling lines usually seep at the crimps, where metal and rubber lines come together...if the lines were leaking/seeping, was the level checked in the tranny? Checking fluid on this tranny is a little complicated, since it doesn't have a dipstick....If they didn't check it, they should have.....you could be driving around with a low fluid condition....

Now for the coolant......the problem with not fixing a leak, and just adding coolant is, that Dexcool does not do well with air......you create an air pocket with a leak, and if it gets big enough, it can restrict/stop the flow of coolant, causing an overheating problem....this can cause more problems, like head gasket problems......also internal coolant leaks mean, coolant can be getting into the oil.....contaminated oil circulated though an engine can cause possible bearing problems.....

So, if you have been doing this for a year, you are living on borrowed time....I have no idea how fast your vehicle is leaking...I have no idea how much coolant may have entered your oil......it would be hard for anyone to make a guesstimate of how much time you have on each problem....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: Any advice please?

Welcome to AF Brenton1.

1-5 is usually a real PITA to change but saves $100 over repair shop doing the work.

If a water pump stops working or isnt pumping enough coolant you're gonna overheat your engine!
Water pumps cost like $15-18 and pretty easy to change, compared to your other issues.

Its around $150-180 for a new PS pump. hoses are also pretty expensive and a bear to change. and usually requires you to get under the vehicle to install. So dont forget jack stands for safety!!

And if you're not familiar with engine repair, you prob need some help with those lower intake gaskets.

Topping it off cant hurt and would keep it from overheating as long as the WP is working.
But if your coolant has been leaking into your oil, its prob done some major internal damage on the bearings. A new engine is around $3500 installed, you can buy another GA for less than that.

Also we have a few procedures that might help you in our Tips and Maintenance Section.
If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cooler , lines , pump , water
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM