Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
incognito41
AF Newbie

speed sensor, 98 dodge ram 1500

I'm trying to change out my speed sensor for my '98 Dodge ram 1500, V6. I think I've found it plugged into the rear axle. Does anyone know if this is where it is located or if not where exactly it is located. Thanks.
incognito41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
mxracer111
AF Newbie

i have a 98 1500 2 wheel v8 and thats where mine was right om top of the pumkin theretook a nut off to get cable out of the way then the stud unscrews out and then you lift and twist to get sensor out, good luck, they take a little work, there stuborn because of the o-ring. makes a tight fit too keep crap out and oil in
mxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
BamaDodgenMX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BamaDodgenMX Send a message via Yahoo to BamaDodgenMX
Re: speed sensor, 98 dodge ram 1500

I've heard that that's where most of them are, although some older models have them towards the back of the tranny.
BamaDodgenMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

With these trucks (from 1994 i believe up to 2001) there are 2 speed sensors. One is on top of the diff case like you said, and the other is in the transmission.
LTJGWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
pca003
AF Newbie

I had a speed sensor that went out on my 98 Ram 4x4. It was the one that was above the rear pumpkin. This kept my ABS light on and would only allow my my speedometer to start after about 28 mph.
pca003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
scaerme
AF Newbie

We have the same problems with our 98 dodge ram, how much is a new speed sensor and where can you get one?
scaerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
mxracer111
AF Newbie

i got mine from the dealer, about 37 bucks, the one from the auto store looked diff. and was only like 5 bucks cheaper
mxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
incognito41
AF Newbie

i found a sensor at pepboys for $41. I think autozone had it for them same. i haven't actually had time to change it but i did have a few minutes to mess with it and was able to take off everything but the sensor. the damn thing is impossible to take off. I might wait until i change my oil and brakes to tackle it again. thanks for all the help everyone. if anyone has any other clues on how to get it out i'd appreciate it.
incognito41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
Jimi Hendrix04
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jimi Hendrix04

hell man im with u...i still think my dodge is off about 5mph. and since i drive to school i have to worry about cops and not speeding..there VERY strict about speed....i hope mine is the same problem becuz my friends truck said he was goin 35 and i was goin about 41 or something...so thx neways
Jimi Hendrix04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
littlebit
AF Newbie

Re: Re: speed sensor, 98 dodge ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaerme
We have the same problems with our 98 dodge ram, how much is a new speed sensor and where can you get one?
Oreillys Paid $16 for mine....
littlebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
mrg00dwrench
AF Newbie

Hi. I was wondering, could someone take a picture of where the sensor is? I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4, and I need to switch out my sensor, as the speedometer doesnt kick in till 25 mph, and the ABS and Brake lights are on. Every bit of research i've done on this has pointed me to the speed sensor being the issue. Thanks.
mrg00dwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
bootlegger
AF Newbie

'97 2500; rear sensor (actually a wheel sensor) on top of diff puts out 0-5+ VAC depending on speed; VSS (on tail of tranny) is new; transmission output shaft sensor also reads 0-5+ VAC depending on speed.

However, neither the speedometer or the odometer works (at any speed). A snap-on scanner shows no error codes but reads 0 vehicle speed when driving around.

Any ideas out there?
bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Sidvicious41
AF Newbie

My 98 had the same problems, ABS , Brake, no odometer, and no Speedometer. The local parts shop did a computer check and told me the problem was the speed sensor. The first one I got was for the one on the tail of the tranny, cost $18.00 , this however did not correct my problem, I did a bit of research and found out about the Rear speed sensor, cost $48.00 , I found that to replace this sensor its best to use two flat head screw drivers and pry it off which took a bit of effort but came out cleanly. My problem is now repaired . Although a signal present does not mean its working properly. The parts are cheap price wise and in about an hour you'll be done. Word of caution here when you remove the sensor on the tranny tail work quickly to replace it with the new one as tranny fluid will spill out as soon as you remove the sensor, use a catch pan.
Sidvicious41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
GTXDan
AF Newbie

I first purchased the tranny speed sensor but once I removed it and compared to what I bought beforehand, it was time to scramble to my computer. My search paid off by visiting this web site where I learned about the sensor located on top of the rear differential.
However, the sensor that I was offered was oriented differently than the original.
I bought my part(s) at Auto Zone (also replaced a bad O2 sensor) and had them compare different years (97 & 99) on their computers thinking that they had handed me a part for something other than my 98.
The factory piece has the wiring connection toward the driver's side vs. the Auto Zone piece which had the connection pointing toward the passenger side. The counter help was stumped as no other option appeared on their computer so I took it home knowing that I would have to remove the cable clips to reroute the wiring.
Doing so, I used black tie wraps (best for use in outdoor environments) and secured the wiring to brake cables while trying to minimize possible contact with any road debris that might get kicked up.
Also, I used some silicone spray to pre-lube the O-ring before inserting into the differential. It was a chore to pry out and it can be just as tough getting it back in. Silicone made it E-Z for me to reinstall.
My most time consuming problem was rerouting the factory wiring to comply with Auto Zone's speed sensor. Not sure how this part could be completely backward from the original but once in place and the wiring was reconnected, my speedo was again in working order.
BTW! I also retained the original protective shield that goes over the sensor. I had to pry the passenger side of the metal enclosure into an open position that allowed me to connect the factory wiring connector onto the sensor. A bench vise and a pair of slip pliers (channel locks) was all it took to make the shield usable again.
My thanks to all of you who took the time to post your answers (and your questions) to my situation.
GTXDan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10