Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #1
migojoe
AF Newbie

'02 Stabilizer install

Which is better, the stabilizer kit from SLR or the one from Automotive Customizers?

I called SLR a few times today but nobody answered. Left a message and nobody returned my call. May there out wheelin??

Does anyone know if I'll have to remove the '02 factory front skid plate to install either of the stabilizers? It looks like it.
migojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Check out the one I designed, it has twin gussets and braces on two sides of the frame and the centerlink bracket has a triple u-bolt design....all these features make the design unique and the strongest one on the market.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
hbdesert
AF Newbie

I just put on the Rancho kit today on my 02. It fit fine. It took me about an hour from start to finish. We well see next weekend how it works out. Yes, you have to remove the front skid plate.

-Doug
hbdesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up EOE SS

Your right Todd! I have the AC one on mine, but yours is a stronger unit all the way around! I helped Jens put his on and asked him who he got it from! Should have known it was EOE!!!!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
superjens
AF Enthusiast

Todd, I got a question for you while we're on the topic. Is the shock body supposed to get bolted to the passenger side or the driver side? Or does it not make a difference ...

Old 03-22-2002, 12:00 AM   #6
migojoe
AF Newbie

Todd, I like your design.... I'll be talking to you tomorrow.
Superjens, where did you get the tow hook?
migojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:04 AM   #7
superjens
AF Enthusiast

It's just your standard 3-hole tow hook, off the shelf at some 4x4 parts shop in Tacoma. One size fits all, I believe.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:05 AM   #8
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Three holed tow hooks available at just about any 4wd shop will fit using the stock bolts. Puting on the one on the drivers side is the harder one since there are no nuts welded into the frame on that side.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:07 AM   #9
Dayspring
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dayspring
Quote:
Originally posted by superjens
Todd, I got a question for you while we're on the topic. Is the shock body supposed to get bolted to the passenger side or the driver side? Or does it not make a difference ...
The body is supposed to be mounted on the passenger side. That way the frame mount handles the weight (not that it's a whole lot).
----------------------------------------

Cobra 75 CB, EOE Sliderz, Skid Row Skids, PIAA 1500XT Fogs, PIAA Headlights, In-Cabin Microfilter, K&N Filter, Bilsteins x4, Rancho AAL's, MT 31's, Garmin eMap GPS, EOE HD Steering Stabilizer
Dayspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:59 AM   #10
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

The way you have it installed is the way I recommend...makes a bit of difference in the steering feel doesn't it.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:08 AM   #11
superjens
AF Enthusiast

I can definitely feel a difference in the steering, thanks again Todd for rushing the bracket out to me (any business who builds parts for rush orders on a Sunday night deserve all my support)
Old 03-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #12
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toy4x4Guy
Quote:
I can definitely feel a difference in the steering, thanks again Todd for rushing the bracket out to me (any business who builds parts for rush orders on a Sunday night deserve all my support)
What kid of difference in steering? Firmer? Are you able to keep the stock skid plate after this is installed?

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #13
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy4x4Guy

What kid of difference in steering? Firmer? Are you able to keep the stock skid plate after this is installed?

Thanks,
The steering will feel a bit firmer, but the big benefit is the reduced amount of drift and tracking with all the grooves and potholes in the road. If you hit a pothole the wheel will no longer feel like it wants to be jerked out of your hand, off road the benefits are the same but these type of things happen quite often so it really helps. The EOE kit will fit with the stock skidplates or the Skid Row skids...I'm sure the other kits will as well.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:06 PM   #14
Toy4x4Guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toy4x4Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER

The steering will feel a bit firmer, but the big benefit is the reduced amount of drift and tracking with all the grooves and potholes in the road. If you hit a pothole the wheel will no longer feel like it wants to be jerked out of your hand, off road the benefits are the same but these type of things happen quite often so it really helps. The EOE kit will fit with the stock skidplates or the Skid Row skids...I'm sure the other kits will as well.
That's what I'm looking for. One thing I have not been able to get used to in my new Xterra is the steering. The Tacoma I traded had rack and pinion steering. It's not as durable as the recirculating ball that the Xterra has, but it had quite a bit less of the "drifting" you describe.

How hard is this to install, and does the Rancho shock come with a boot? If so, can I specify a boot color?

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'll be ordering one of these from you soon.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #15
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy4x4Guy

That's what I'm looking for. One thing I have not been able to get used to in my new Xterra is the steering. The Tacoma I traded had rack and pinion steering. It's not as durable as the recirculating ball that the Xterra has, but it had quite a bit less of the "drifting" you describe.

How hard is this to install, and does the Rancho shock come with a boot? If so, can I specify a boot color?

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'll be ordering one of these from you soon.
The install is not hard at all, maybe an hour for the whole thing with a few sockets/wrenches. The Rancho shock does come with a red boot, you can get replacement boots in various colors but unfortunately all their shocks come with the red boot standard. I am not sure if you really want to spend the money for a different color though since it is located behind the skidplate and will not be easily seen unless you are really looking for it. If you have any other questions just ask, more than glad to help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail