Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
bjrjr16
AF Newbie

99 zr2, pulling engine with transmission easier on zr2 vs non zr2?

Hi I am in the middle of doing an engine change in my 1999 zr2. I was wondering if it is just easier to pull both engine and trans together? we had tried it before in my blazer but didnt seem to have ebough clearence on the front axle, but the one being a different frame and such i wasnt sure if there was more clearence, also would i have to take all of the front clip off? such as the core support and fenders? I allready have the engine ready to come out, only thing is left is to unbolt the trans. Id like to be able to pull both together and install both together. any help would be great, thanks, also i did search this over and over and didnt find much help and it is a 4wd auto.
bjrjr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 99 zr2, pulling engine with transmission easier on zr2 vs non zr2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrjr16 View Post
Hi I am in the middle of doing an engine change in my 1999 zr2. I was wondering if it is just easier to pull both engine and trans together? we had tried it before in my blazer but didnt seem to have ebough clearence on the front axle, but the one being a different frame and such i wasnt sure if there was more clearence, also would i have to take all of the front clip off? such as the core support and fenders? I allready have the engine ready to come out, only thing is left is to unbolt the trans. Id like to be able to pull both together and install both together. any help would be great, thanks, also i did search this over and over and didnt find much help and it is a 4wd auto.
Engine and transmission together does not work good.

Automatic?
Unbolt transmission to engine.
If cab will not let you get to transmission bolts you can remove transmission cross member and lower transmission to get to them but needs put back before pulling engine or.
You can raise cab and fenders a couple of inches.
If standard transmission or engine will not move forward a 2-3 inches sometinmes removing front rear end helps.
Use cheery picker to pull engine.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
bjrjr16
AF Newbie

everything is allready ready to come out, i just still have teh trans bolted, I take everything out, like i took the cross member, crossover, transfercase, driveshafts ect ect out. It seems easier for me to do it that way then to try and line up the engine with the trans still in. I had never pulled a engine and trans combo, the zr2 is a different setup underneath for the frame so I wasnt sure if there was more clearence than normal so I could just maybe pull it out, Someone said you need to take off front clip and the combo comes right out, so didnt know if i needed to do that too on a zr2
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrjr16 View Post
everything is allready ready to come out, i just still have teh trans bolted, I take everything out, like i took the cross member, crossover, transfercase, driveshafts ect ect out. It seems easier for me to do it that way then to try and line up the engine with the trans still in. I had never pulled a engine and trans combo, the zr2 is a different setup underneath for the frame so I wasnt sure if there was more clearence than normal so I could just maybe pull it out, Someone said you need to take off front clip and the combo comes right out, so didnt know if i needed to do that too on a zr2
Best and easier to separate engine from transmission.
If not you have made yourself a lot of extra work and mess and may also have to drop front rear end to get it to tip out of body.
Good Luck
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

I'd have to go with MT on this one. Both can come out as one on the ZR2 but it will be much easier and safer if the trans is removed first.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
djd99
AF Regular

If you don't know take off the starter and shield and that gives you access to the flywheel bolts.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
bjrjr16
AF Newbie

yea i knew that, makes it alot easier to get them out lol. im almost done with it all now, had to pull two engine and re install one, the other truck this spring is getting a lift, big tires, a new cab because it got totalled into a tree, and im doing the ls1 or lt1 swap, i allready found a lt1 at the you pull it with 90k on it for 130bucks after tax, coming out of a buick roadmaster with rotted out strut towers, cant wait for this monster to be done, either of them for that matter.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD