Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
allboy
AF Newbie

Should I pull engine with or without tranny?

I'm putting in a rebuilt engine and new clutch. Should I pull engine with or without tranny? Its a 94 Metro 1.0L 5 speed.
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Johnny Mullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Re: Should I pull engine with or without tranny?

I would just do the engine myself since it saves a lot of extra work of removing the axles and all the trans hookups.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
GM Line Rat
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I would just do the engine myself since it saves a lot of extra work of removing the axles and all the trans hookups.
+1 Also, remove the crankshaft belt pulley before removing the engine on the 91-94 3 Cyl engines. It will give you a few more inches of room when you slide the engine over to the left (Passenger Side) after separating it from the trans, and make it easier to pull out and install the new engine the same way. The new clutch kit can be installed after you remove the flywheel off the old motor and before you install the new motor. Also, make sure you install new pilot and throwout bearings. If you buy a clutch Kit, They come with them. Make sure you clean and re-grease the spring loaded arm that the clutch cable hooks up to also and spread a thin layer of grease on the spline shaft teeth, to make them slide together easy when the flywheel and trans mesh together.
GM Line Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
birar
AF Regular

I agree with the GM rat just pull the engine and the crank pully i didnt no that pullen my engine and it was a bitch i removed the pully on the new engine and it was so much easier puting it back in
birar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
carlchristy
AF Newbie

I even take it a bit further and only pull the manifolds off, strap the intake tree to the windshield wiper, pop off the head (MUCH easier to do that when the block is bolted down than on a cart or bench!), and then pull the crank pulley and alternator. Engines come in and out that way easily, even 89 to 94s. And you are probably going to want your original intake tree anyhow. I learned that by doing only valve jobs right at first, but have now done 39 Geo 3 cyls. The ONLY thing that almost always gets me: I usually forget to pull the little bottom bell housing plate bolted on with two 10mm bolts, and the motor starts to move, but will NOT come all the way off that way! I hate pulling Transes!

The crappiest jobs on Metros are swapping transes. If I were doing a clutch only, I would ALWAYS pull just the engine. If I were being paid to do ONLY a clutch, I would leave the intake tree on the motor and disconnect the multiple pipes and wires from the harness and firewall. But if I was doing anything else (I almost always need to clean the EGR passages, at least), I would leave the intake on the car and wired up high and towards the firewall, and just pull the head, then block.
carlchristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Johnny Mullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet

If you are rebuilding the engine you are removing, take it one more step and remove the head/intake assy first. This makes it a one man job.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD