Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan
Mercedes SLS AMG GT3

Usually more of a rally builder, I am tackling a circuit build this time. The kit is a Fujimi 1/24 SLS GT3. I am lucky to work for a GT3 race team which campaigns three of these cars, and will be recreating the endurance machine. I will be able to throw in a few reference pictures of the actual car throughout the build as well.

Here are a few shots of the kit before I tear into it and the 1:1 race machine.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Mercedes SLS AMG GT3

I am looking forward to this. Does your team run with the bright orange as the base for it's livery? That would certainly make it eye-catching.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #3
firun
AF Regular

Looks interesting! Good luck.

My kits collection.
firun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
Shunter2402

This will be fun to watch..
Shunter2402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #5
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan

Gidday everyone, thanks for the comments and following the build. Potsie, yes we run with the bright orange livery. Usually the rear of the cars are black, so they run a triple colour combo of orange, black and silver accents. I have attached a photo of the car as per the race livery. The car I am replicating is owned personally by the boss of the team and is his 'baby'. It usually remains in full orange unlike the other 2 SLS GT3s.

Firun & Shunter, glad to have you along for the build!

Progress has started. I was happy to spot a photo etch sprue in the kit so have added this to the brakes. The chassis is pretty crude but in a machine such as this, you don't notice it once bodywork goes on so no worries there.

I will concentrate a bit of my attention to the interior as that is going to be most visible. I will do what I can in terms of adding some detail. Attached are some shots I took of the cockpit for anyone who is interested and I grabbed the 1:1 steering wheel to compare against the kit one. They did good! More updates to come soon!

The cars as they are run in competition:

iliasbass (12-10-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Great build, always good to see models built of race cars that race in NZ! Can't wait to see more!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
WRCfan
AF Regular

Hi everyone, a wee update tonight on the SLS. Have been busy with the 1:1 car but snuck some building over the last week. I have finished up the cockpit, trying to recreate (a simplistic version) of our team cockpit with the basic colours and belts. I need to paint the internal sides of the cockpit to give the feeling of the gullwing doors closed as well before moving on. All parts are mocked up currently without being glued in.

I have sprayed the body with a (close) orange too and went with a Tamiya spray paint.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
indy1977tx
AF Regular

Looks great. Loving this build.

Jordan
indy1977tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
WRCfan
AF Regular

Things have moved along, and the progress between before and now hasn't been overly exciting hence the model is almost finshed.

I did try for the first time using oven cleaner to remove chrome, and wow! Ten seconds and it was totally gone, no scrubbing needed, and no damage whatsoever to the plastic parts. Very happy with this outcome and will be using it again for sure.

The car is complete as of now so watch for the finished pics later on today. In the mean time here was the final parts of the build. Now to give it to the team boss as a belated Christmas present!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports