Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
turbo rich
AF Newbie

Geo storm running rough

Hello all,

This is my 1st post here. I just purchased a 1992 Geo Storm for my daughter & I am having a few issues. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

It is the strom 1.6 liter SOHC 5 speed.

I replaced the plugs, wires, cap & dist. rotor as well as the oil & filter. The car idles kinda rough but not all that bad, it's when you drive it that you can feel it missing. It passed emmissions, but barely & the tech said it was running rough probally due to a lazy o2 sensor. He also sais he believes it has a missfire because the hyrdocarbons were high when he let off of the accellerator.

No check engine light.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich
turbo rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
shinta
AF Newbie

Re: Geo storm running rough

my gammar and spell suck hope you can read and under stand it

i would change the 02 first, then chick the timing. my friend storm we had to reset the timing. if that don't help check the compresson i wont to say it 70-110 is good but i could be wrong. when you replaced the dist. you might of jumped the timing back. my friends car set about just a little over a grand and its runs like its new. then again we he first got it we doged the hell out of it. just to see if the motor was goint to blow or not. but yea he has had it for 5 years and we just pulled the motor b/c we found that dubble over head cam motor and rebuild it and gave it some goods. and now he keeps up we stock rx8s but i dont think you daughtor is going to be playing with cars well i hope not
shinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
shinta
AF Newbie

sorry for the grammer and spelling

given the chance every one plays at some point but yet, check the timing and compression. replace the o2 you will find most times the o2 is the prob, if that does not work then again check the timing and compression, if for what ever reason its still doing to i would and if the money is there go pull a head form the some storm in a junk yard and have it rebuilt and put that on it, you might have valve that are sticking but are not making nose. all so check the motor and trany mounts they are go bad and when you driving you can get whats call torque rap it will make the car seem as if its miss firing. all it is is this the motor is rocking back to far and missing up the drive line angle.
shinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Jonny Roden
AF Newbie

If you just replaced the Distributor than I would try adjusting the timing on that a little bit at a time it is on a slider. I would try and mark or make sure you know where it was at before you move it than try moving it one way if that makes it worse try moving it the other way. If that dont work make sure all the gaps are set right on your plugs. I would also get a compression tester and test your cylinders.
Jonny Roden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Jonny Roden
AF Newbie

I have a 93 geo storm and I paked it for a couple months once when I parked it it ran fine but when I went to pull it out of my shop it was running like crap come to find out my timing belt had somehow jumped out of time just enough where it would start and run but it ran rough and you could feel it miss, sounds like to me you are having a timing issue. Once I tore it apart and realigned the timing belt it runs like a top this actually not very hard to do but it is time consuming.I noticed that on your post you said it might be the 02 sensor but I thought id let know my 02 sensor is cut on mine its never been hooked up in the 6 years I have had owned it and I have never had a problem with that it has ALWAYS ran like a TOP Without an 02 sensor hooked up so I doubt that your 02 sensor is causing it to run like that: I'm not saying that its not a possibility I would just try unplugging the 02 sensor and see how it runs with it unplugged it cant hurt nothin to try maybe thats why mine was cut before I owned it but its got 280,000 miles on it and this thing runs like a champ without an 02 sensor.
Jonny Roden is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm