Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
someguy0719
AF Newbie

i am a newbie and i dont no all ur rules and i am sorry but i really need help

i have a 1982 280zx turbo it is sputtering really bad and dies after about 2 minutes of driving at 45 mph ummm there is a really bad smell coming out the exhaust and some smoke. the motor is new i bought the car with it and it has about 115 miles on it. i have replace plugs cap wires fuel filter tps o2 sensor and a couple of other things i cant think of right off hand. i really dont no anthing about these cars but i have trying to research as much as possible but there is alot so if someone could help me i would really be thankful.
someguy0719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
someguy0719
AF Newbie

Re: i am a newbie and i dont no all ur rules and i am sorry but i really need help

i was wondering if some one could help i have figured out that i need to do an ecu reading but i have no idea how to i have only worked on old v8 and this is the fist one that i have ever heard of having to do it so if some one could help thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: i am a newbie and i dont no all ur rules and i am sorry but i really need help

Sorry I don't own a 280Z so I can't do anything outside point you to the universal stuff that it sounds like you've already covered. Try zdriver.com, there are many 280Z owners there.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

what colour smoke? what kind of smell?

if it is fuel injected you might be able to find a factory service manual somewhere on the internet for it, it will have the procedure in there on running the ecu codes.

try unplugging one sensor at a time when the problem arises, and see what happens as each one is unplugged and plugged back in.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
mwolvin
AF Regular

How old is the turbo?
mwolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
someguy0719
AF Newbie

well i found out wat it was. the housing for the injectors were all cracked and so i am replacing them. i guess that causes the fuel rail to lose pressure and kill the car. and the reason that it was overloading on gas and fouling out the plugs. and it was blowin smoke from overloading on gas. but i wont know for sure until tomorrow so i will let u guys no thanx for the help though.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
someguy0719
AF Newbie

and the turbo is the original but why would that matter any i can hear it spoil up and i dont see how that would cause it to over load or kill the car it just wouldnt work right. i dont really no i am not trying to sound like i do but that is just my guess from wat i do know but thanx anywasy
Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

if the turbo is original (as in the one that came on it from the factory) you might want to look into having it rebuilt... turbo's with that many miles on it are prone to failure.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
someguy0719
AF Newbie

would the tps sensor cause the car to overload on gas like that and not idle right. because a replace the injector housings and that stopped the car from dying but i dont know wat to do now i pulled the plug on the tps and the car doesnt run any different so does that mean that the tps is bad or could the ecu be bad i just dont know anymore. if someone could just shoot me lol. no i just need some help with the car so if u could help.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Check the voltage off of the TPS.... it should be a 5v signal. Even on the old 280ZXs. It should smoothly swing from around .5V to 4.7V to maybe 5V when you work the throttle by hand. If it doesnt then the TPS is bad. You could also have a bad MAP sensor. If it has one on that year. I think it does.. been a LONG time since I have done any work on a 280ZX.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

depending on what kind of tps sensor it is... if it's similar to the z31's then you can test it out by measuring the resistance of it... with the throttle fully closed the resistance between 2 of the pins should be low... as soon as you crack the throttle it should go to infinite resistance, or change a whole lot.
ZedEx Crew Member #6

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)