Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Hybrid93Hatch
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid93Hatch
Mendral vs. Crushed exhaust piping! Difference that big?

I decided that I am going to get a custom cat-back done rather than go the expensive $500 route. People are so quick to say go to a shop that does mendral bends, BUT I have NEVER found a shop that does this. I've called several shops when I was in Orlando and the shops here in Savannah. NONE!
Does anyone know what kind of loss you get when using crushed piping?

Are we talking 1-2hp loss?

I've seen how crushed piping looks and it's not that bad. Yeah, mendral is better, but is crushed really that bad?

Thanks for any input on this!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

the difference is not going to be that great. the only difference is that the gas is not going to have laminar air flow, making it a bit more turbulent, but this will not affect things too much. its especially not worth worrying about it if you have to go to a lot of trouble to get mandral bending. just get the crushed piping and you will be just as happy.
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:10 AM   #3
SmoovSol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SmoovSol
your custom exhaust will not sound anything like that tanabe, gredy, or any other high performance exhaust system, I dont care who says they like it. I have had it, most places will not want to put the resonator back on and if they do they will charge more. Buying an apexi or any other exhuast system u get what u pay for, you get quality for 450.00. Dont assume that a do it urself 200.00 exhuast will sound good and be ok. Most exhuast shops also dont want to do the right diameter size, well around here they dont like to cause of emissions, and they arent very strict around here. I have had a custom exhaust on my car with a revolution carbon fiber muffler and it rattled sometimes once in a while, sound was very loud, and just the quality wasnt worth it for me, u might like it but I love my tanabe alot more then the custom setup i had... happy posting..
Old 11-01-2002, 03:19 PM   #4
spotovi
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

I bought a resonator and a muffler. That cost me $130 Canadian. I got the stock exhaust from the Cat-back removed and with a new flange, 3 welds and a bracket I have a custom Cat-back for $300 Canadian. It sounds great with the resonator. The ready made Cat-backs are really nice to look at. I like most of the ones that I've seen and heard. I just couldn't spend the money for them. The performance is almost the some with a NA motor.

Regards,
Spotovi.
K&N CIA
Custom Bent SS Cat-Back w/SS Dragon Style Muffler (4.5 Inch tip).
Stock Suspension
Stock 14" wheels
Goodyear Eagle HP
Stock Brakes
spotovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Hybrid93Hatch
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid93Hatch
Quote:
Originally posted by SmoovSol
your custom exhaust will not sound anything like that tanabe, gredy, or any other high performance exhaust system, I dont care who says they like it. I have had it, most places will not want to put the resonator back on and if they do they will charge more. Buying an apexi or any other exhuast system u get what u pay for, you get quality for 450.00. Dont assume that a do it urself 200.00 exhuast will sound good and be ok. Most exhuast shops also dont want to do the right diameter size, well around here they dont like to cause of emissions, and they arent very strict around here. I have had a custom exhaust on my car with a revolution carbon fiber muffler and it rattled sometimes once in a while, sound was very loud, and just the quality wasnt worth it for me, u might like it but I love my tanabe alot more then the custom setup i had... happy posting..
I can't speak for the performance of crushed piping, but I can speak for the sound since my LX has this from the cat-back as well as my bro's 95 Accord, and nemesis_2000 GSR h/b as well.

My exhaust is one of the best sounding I've heard (except it's an auto). nemesis exhaust is pretty loud but also sounds really good. My bro's Accord is just too loud since it's straight pipe. But, you can get good sound out of a custom / crushed piped exhaust.