Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Montego
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Paulmidi
AF Newbie

2007 AC Problem

When the AC is on the temp is adjustable for example 72° or 65° or 60° is it supposed to go below 60°
My AC isn't getting cold enough.
Someone please help!
Paulmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2007 AC Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmidi View Post
When the AC is on the temp is adjustable for example 72° or 65° or 60° is it supposed to go below 60°
My AC isn't getting cold enough.
Someone please help!
Your adjustment will probably not read lower than 60deg. When turned to 60 it is essentially at its lowest (max cold) setting. If you are not getting cold enough air, the you'll need to have the system checked for proper charge, proper temp door operation, possible codes may be set also. A scanner that reads body (B) codes will be required to check for codes relating to the A/C.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
Paulmidi
AF Newbie

When they add Freon does it take a day or two sometimes for it to kick in and start working? They added it and I stopped on my way home for about 1/2 an hour to eat as I was sitting in my car. I noticed no difference. It was a hot day but soon will be much hotter. While driving at night it almost seems to work normally.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

The shop that added refrigerant should have done a thorough leak check and inspection, sounds like what they added is already gone by your description. Just knowing how much was in there to start with is a big clue, if it was entirely empty, then just adding is futile. Would you just add air to a flat tire? and call it fixed? So sounds like you need to have someone experienced in a/c systems to work on it.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
The shop that added refrigerant should have done a thorough leak check and inspection, sounds like what they added is already gone by your description. Just knowing how much was in there to start with is a big clue, if it was entirely empty, then just adding is futile. Would you just add air to a flat tire? and call it fixed? So sounds like you need to have someone experienced in a/c systems to work on it.
I second what brcidd said...sounds like you need and actual diagnosis of your problem...
Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
Paulmidi
AF Newbie

Really the only thing lacking is my ability to explain the problems I'm having with my car.
The shop is going to give me a service loner after the Holiday so they can keep the car and figure out what's wrong with it. It seems to me the AC is working alright except when the car is sitting still for awhile it seems its not cooling. But while moving it seems to work!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmidi View Post
Really the only thing lacking is my ability to explain the problems I'm having with my car.
The shop is going to give me a service loner after the Holiday so they can keep the car and figure out what's wrong with it. It seems to me the AC is working alright except when the car is sitting still for awhile it seems its not cooling. But while moving it seems to work!
This description sounds like a air flow problem over the condenser. A bad fan clutch/cooling fan motor, ect...when you are driving the car, there is more flow over the condenser, keeping the a/c pressures in check. When you stop, you loose that air flow, pressures rise and cooling sufffers. I don't know if your vehicle uses and fan clutch or a electric fan, but you can check and see if the radiator fan is running with the a/c on while the vehicle is in park. A good check would be to see if that , while the engine is running, with the a/c on, if a plain old sheet of paper will sucked up against the grill of the vehicle from the air being drawn in by the fan.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Paulmidi
AF Newbie

After the AC problem I guess I need to see if I can figure out the keyless entry. There are no numbers written in the manual from the previous owner. Sorry if this is off topic.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Montego