Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:12 AM   #1
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Question lowend torque with a/t's

i have an a/t so i need lowend torque, since i cant rev before dropping the clutch. anyways, i was told that since i have a highflow cat and exhaust, creating less backpressure, that i also lose lowend torque. is that true? if it is, what would be better... getting silencers put on? or i saw a guy on ebay selling an almost new accord ex muffler. if i do adjust something to gain back the lowend, would changing the muffler make a noticable difference in hp?
Old 10-28-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
higgimonster
AF Regular

it is true that adding an intake and exhaust will lower your lowend (sort of, meaning that you will see more gains in the higher rpm range).
But as far as not being able to rev the engine before 'dropping the clutch', i offer this. Next time you want to do a launch, hold down the brake with your left foot while flooring the throttle. When you are ready to go just slide your left foot off to the side (like you are dropping the clutch) and viola, you are able to get the engine into a much better torque zone then a normal start. BTW, the point at which the engine stops revving while doing this is called your stall point.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
TheBum
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TheBum
If you didnt notice it, there is an extremely long post on backpressure. Its at the very top of this forum. I havent had the time to read it yet because its huge, but im sure theres tons of info in there.
TheBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
strodda
AF Enthusiast

yea, i read a little bit, but it was just too much at the time. i was hoping for an easy way out.

and as for holding the brake while giving gas, wont that put stress on the motor or something?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:18 PM   #5
luti
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to luti
The launch he describes is bad for both your brakes and your transmission. Your tranny will get hot and possibly break, or atleast wear out quicker.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:48 PM   #6
TheBum
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TheBum
I would have to agree that doing that is not worth the jump off the line as you may ruin something.
TheBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:23 AM   #7
SmoovSol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SmoovSol
He is righ that is a very bad and easy way to wreck an automatic tranny. Why not get an upgraded torque converter? will be a bit expensive to put in considering it is auto and good luck finding someone that will do it. Can u say nightmare? anything that lets ur engine breath better except for portin, polishing, way valve jobs n things like that will give u les low end power but will increase ur overall power through ur powerband, u can gear ur tranny, get teeth taken out of the sprockets, torque converters but it does get VERY expensive with autos.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical