Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
70GTORAG
AF Newbie

1970 gto 10-bolt 8.2" question

I am told that the 8.2" rear end came in two versions, one being a 'corporate' rear end, the other not sure. Can anyone verify this, and how to identify them if they are different?

I thought only the 8.5" rear end was 'corporate'.
70GTORAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 1970 gto 10-bolt 8.2" question

You're correct. The 8.2 was used in Buick, Olds and Pontiac. The Chevy 8.2 "10 bolt" is not the same. It uses "C-locks" to hold the axles in. The BOP is a "semi-floating" axle, with the bearing pressed directly on the axle, held in place by a flange and bolts.

The 8.5, on the other hand, is the first true "corporate" rear, as you suggest. Loosley speaking, the 8.5 is a redone version of the venerable Chevy 12-bolt, with only 10 holes drilled in it. BTW, the terms "10-bolt" and "12 bolt" refer to the number of bolts that hold the rign gear to the carrier. There's the common misconception its number of bolts holding the cover on. While, for the most part, that's true, not always. The '70 Olds and Pontiac "performance" rear (in W-30 and Ram Air cars) had 12 bolts holding the cover on, but 10 on the ring.

The BOP 8.2 is actually a very good rear. Tough stuff. In the F-body (Firebird), it's been used in cars going deep into the 10s and not yielding a bit. In the A-body (GTO), traction is a bit "better", so the rear isn't quite as tough. Fine for anything under 500 HP and not drag racing with big slicks.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
GotMyGoat
AF Newbie

Re: 1970 gto 10-bolt 8.2" question

Please help me!!
I am rebuilding my 10 bolt 8.2 in a 1965 GTO that I am starting to restore. The wheel bearings are a RW507G. The race is just a hair bigger than the RW507CR in most rear ends.

Does anyone know where I can find 2 RW507G wheel bearings?

Eric
GotMyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)