Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #91
kitch
AF Regular

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

Well update time, I just finished the lower intake gasket on the 3.8L windstar. It ran excellent firing on all 6 cylinders for about 3 min from cold start. Then it started to misfire on #6 again. I could here a high pitched whistle but could not find it. I was pretty tired so I got pissed off and left it over night and started it again in the morning. Same thing happened but this time I listened for the whistle at the start and it was not there as soon as the whistle came the engine started to act up. I kind of pinpointed the sound to driver side just inside the wheel well. You can really here it from the wheel well but you really have to strain to hear it from the top. I looked all over and sprayed everything to see if I could make engine do something but nothing. I think it is a gasket because the engine runs great until it warms up a bit but where I do not know. Does anyone have an idea. I replaced IAC gasket, egr valve gasket, throttle body gasket, lower/upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and replaced the fuel pressure regulator.
kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #92
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen

It could also be some emissions device that activates as the engine warms up. Here's something that has worked for me. Get a length of vacuum hose - about 6 feet of it and a wooden dow. The dow should be about 18 inches long and around 1/4" in dia. A long screw driver works too. Tape one end of the hose to the dow so about an inch of the hose extends beyond the end. Use the dow as a wand to help move the hose end around without fear of burns. Place the other end tightly against your best ear. With the engine running, probe around with the dow while keeping it away from moving parts. This will help you pin point the hissing sound.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #93
kitch
AF Regular

Thanks for the idea pcitizen I will have to try that.
kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #94
chasealley
AF Newbie

The hiss you hear in the driver's side fender is normal and not related to your poor running problem. I believe all Windstars of that vintage have it. Mine does and I used a stethescope toi find it. I was able to peek inside the fender and see that the intake for the air breather jst terminates inside the fender. That's right. It goes into the fender and all that is there is a piece of flanged tubing. The proximity to the driver and the placement in the empty cavity make it a poor design from a sound standpoint.

Anyway, the hiss is nothing to worry about as far as I know. It gets louder when the engine is under load like when I turn the steering wheel or immediately after starting and then goes away. Try turning your steering wheel for fun and see if you have the same noise. Some do, some don't.
chasealley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #95
LeeD383
AF Newbie

I have a question on Recalibration of the PCM as mentioned in the TSB. Since I did the 171/174 fix myself, I wasn't able to do the recalibration. Is this necessary? Can any shop do it?

My van still pings under load, but the OBD codes have not come back since I did the fix.

Lee
LeeD383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #96
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD383
I have a question on Recalibration of the PCM as mentioned in the TSB. Since I did the 171/174 fix myself, I wasn't able to do the recalibration. Is this necessary? Can any shop do it?

My van still pings under load, but the OBD codes have not come back since I did the fix.

Lee
Hi
I asked a similar question when I did the bolt fix on a couple of vans. The consensus was that recalibration was likely unnecessary as it was primarily a timing tweak to deal with the lean condition - which is what the replacement parts in the TSB should address (on one of the vans I worked, a '99, there was a faded sticker under the hood that I believe indicated a re-calibration had been done. I was doing the isolator bolt fix in response to the 171/174 codes anyway, so there you go). As to who can do it: I would say that it would be a dealer only type thing.

By the way, are you sure you are hearing ping, and not rattling of the upper intake baffle? I worked on a 2000 with 171/174 that was quiet before the fix and rattled like crazy after. I had to pull off the upper and RTV the baffle as has been detailed quite a bit on this forum.

Best of luck
busboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #97
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

I believe I agree on your statement.

I paid Ford 75 bucks to reprogram my pcm and it did nothing to help me.

As I stated in another post, I believe they open the limits on the long term fuel trim and retarded the ignition.

With clean egr ports and new isolator bolts and gaskets, I would avoid this extra expense unless one becomes desperate.
huskerdooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #98
bolts 75
AF Newbie

Want to thank rider54 for the great site on the 171 /174 codes did the repair 2001 Windstar (should have removed the cowling duh). Replaced port gaskets, isolator bolts, and intake plenum gasket. After it was done, went for a drive then I got a 0401 code and thought o crap I’ll have to replace the DPFE which on the 2001 is apparently behind the plenum. Finally realized I forgot to tighten the gear clamps on the fresh air tube after putting everything together. Tightened them and the reset the code and it’s okay. Again thanks!
bolts 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #99
AF Newbie

Great site... Did the 171/174 repair as per posts on this page. Started up the van and CEL came on. Scanner reveals codes P0113 and P0102. Reset the codes and they reappear at startup. Drove the van and the CEL went out and the van started surging. Did I miss something in the repair proceedure?? thanks
6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #100
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6270
Great site... Did the 171/174 repair as per posts on this page. Started up the van and CEL came on. Scanner reveals codes P0113 and P0102. Reset the codes and they reappear at startup. Drove the van and the CEL went out and the van started surging. Did I miss something in the repair proceedure?? thanks
Hi
Check that you re-attached the electrical for the mass airflow/intake air temp sensors on the "accordion" hose. I think/hope you will find a dangling electrical connector.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #101
AF Newbie

Busboy4...you were absolutely correct in your diagnosis...I hooked one of the connectors wrong and left one hanging....pulled off the accordion hose and immediately saw the mistake I had made. I wish all the fixes were this easy...Just curious, and I have read a lot of posts about double platinum plugs, what difference does it make using DP plugs vs a normal Bosch or AC plugs? Thanks for your assistance
6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #102
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6270
Busboy4...you were absolutely correct in your diagnosis...I hooked one of the connectors wrong and left one hanging....pulled off the accordion hose and immediately saw the mistake I had made. I wish all the fixes were this easy...Just curious, and I have read a lot of posts about double platinum plugs, what difference does it make using DP plugs vs a normal Bosch or AC plugs? Thanks for your assistance
Happy to help. I'll defer your plug question to Wiswind and the others as I cannot give a definitive answer. There has been much discussion here if you search on sparkplugs.

Best
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #103
dde2
AF Newbie

Hello,

New to the forum, but have lurked the past few weeks to find the problem with my 2000 Windstar. I had the EGR / Lean Bank codes and have just completed the iso bolt upgrade with the help of this board and the excellent instructions linked to in this thread. The codes are now gone (For now at least.) but I have what I think is the plenum knock. When I push down on it the noise goes away. While I had the top off I cleaned it out but didn't see any clips or that it was in two pieces as some posters have mentioned there was nothing loose in there that I could find. Any Ideas?

BTW, I found a complete kit for the repair on Ebay for under $100 incl. shipping, it included all the gaskets ( Including a couple I didn't even need) A new valve cover, the two vacuum lines and the new iso bolts. It isn't original Ford parts, but then again, Ford parts were the problem to start with anyway.
dde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #104
jemarmac
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jemarmac

Hello,
I'm a newbie on this awesome forum. I have a 2000 Ford Windstar and have these problem error codes. I found tons of information and attempted to fix the problem this past weekend. All was going good except for 1 plenum cover bolt. The bolt just "spins" I've tried everything from using Vise Grips, WD40 with no success. I was attempted to drill the bolt but decided not to. Has anyone had this problem? Any tips to get this bolt off? I had to put back the cowl and replaced the bolts so I can still drive the van. Any help is much appreciated.
thanks,
JM
jemarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #105
veerg
AF Newbie

Has any one used the kit offered on ebay.
One dealer sells it for USD $79 + shipping. Another for $99 + shipping. They seems to be the same. I got the first one yesterday. Seem to be made in China. The bolts do have the new green rubber on them.
Just checking to see if the parts used by other people were made in China too.....Thanks.......and thanks to pcitizen for the procedure.
veerg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar