Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
frit0150
AF Newbie

Ford Escape Hybrid Purchase

Hello All,

I am thinking of purchasing a Ford Escape "Hybrid". I am not sure what year yet, but I just wanted to get some feedback on your experience with these vehicles. Please reply with your comments.

Are these vehicles reliable? Easy to maintain? Any troubles in the winter (I live in Minnesota)? What kind of gas mileage can I expect? Should I purchase this vehicle?

Thank You!
frit0150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
GreatDriver
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Purchase

I purchased a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD when they were first available (Gotta love the dealer backlog) & haven't regretted it for a single day. I love my Escape & will absolutely purchase a new one when the time has come to "Upgrade". I now have just over 130,000 miles on it & haven't had to replace or repair anything except for the passenger Tie-rod & regular maintenance items such as filters, spark plugs, fluids, brake pads, & tires. Which is phenominal in my opinion considering that I tow with it, I've taken it off-road many times & through some really rough mountainous back-roads in Virginia several times.

I've had no problems in the winter, although gas mileage drops more than I expected when it's cold. My 4WD averages up to 28-40 MPG in summer depending on road conditions & driving habits. Winter is 20-25 MPG depending on temperature, use of the windsheild Defogger, road condition, & driving habits. I've found that fuel quality is also a factor. Despite Ford's recommendation for regular fuel only, I stick w/ quality Mid-grade or premium for the most miles to my $. I also successfully practice a few "efficiency driving habits" that I've found on other forums to help w/ the hybrid battery charging, regenerative braking, etc, all intended to increase efficiency even further.

It handles great in the snow & I've easily (yet carefully) driven through deep road slush & snow drifts as high as 2+ feet without incident. I've never personally had any traction issues w/ the original "Ecomony" tires which are designed for greater efficiency. And they lasted me over 80,000 miles if I remember correctly. However many forum-goers have complained of traction & noise disappointments w/ the original tires compared to more expensive replacement tires. Although those upgraded & more expensive tires negatively affected the Escape's "MPG".

Additionally, despite Ford's recommendation to not tow with the Escape Hybrid, I installed an after-market towing package 3 or 4 years ago & have been VERY impressed with my hybrid's towing capability, handling, & performance. I've been towing light trailers (Flat-bed w/ (2) large Quads) & 16-18 foot boats ever since without ANY disappointment. Plus I get personal satisfaction when on-lookers are shocked that a "Hybrid" is capable of pulling these boats out of steep boat launch ramps.

Lastly, when it comes to maintenance, I completely maintain my own vehicles. I was very happy to learn that, although a hybrid, 99% of the maintenance is exactly the same as a standard non-hybrid vehicle. Brakes, engine maintenance, tune-ups, etc. The SINGLE most tricky part is ensuring that the Dealers give you the correct "Hybrid" parts. I've learned that there are very minor differences in many of the parts between a 2005 V-6 Escape & a 2005 Escape Hybrid. Such as filters, tie-rods, brake pads, & rotors as an example. so getting the right part is critical.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy response. All said & done, I absolutely recommend the Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD to ANYBODY that doesn't require any excessively heavy towing. Hands-down the best vehicle I've ever owned (besides my '86 Mustang) & would definitely purchase another one.
GreatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Purchase

Don't forget to multiply out the fuel savings versus the additional purchase cost of a hybrid if you are only wanting it to save money. Most likely you won't. I am getting 28 mpg on each tank for my 02 V6 4WD and a previous poster said they got 40 mpg in their hybrid. At 10,000 miles a year the hybrid uses 250 gallons at 2.80 for an annual $700. Mine would be 357 gallons at 2.80 for an annual of $1,000. So over 5 years you save $1,500, but I think the cost of the hybrid might be a bit more than an additional 1500. So your primary purpose to get one is to use less fossil fuel and helping the environment by spending more, not saving money because with the current technology and gas prices you won't. When they get 80 mpg and gas gets above $4 a gallon, then it will be a savings.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
escape , hybrid , purchase , suv
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid