Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #76
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: Grand Prix "Take a Break" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
If you are referring to the stuff that goes in in place of power steering fluid that is said to fix small leaks, then yes I have used it with success. When I bought my Stealth in 02 the owner told me it had a minor leak he couldn't find. It took a long time to use the whole bottle, but once I did, I no longer lost fluid.
Thanks for your comment, I guess I'll give it a try and see if it helps with my problem (not on the GP), maybe I'll get lucky and only spend $10 instead of $100 for a new pump.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #77
BNaylor
AF Moderator

I'm glad my second son is safe in Japan. He's a SSGT Jet Propulsion Tech stationed outside of Tokyo at Yokota Air Force Base about 30 minutes Northwest. First hand accounting of what he experienced with the 8.9 earthquake. They are now helping out with relief efforts. BTW - He has a Japanese version '91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo "Fairlady".

Quote:
The earthquake could be felt all over Japan, it screwed some hangars up here. We were swamped yesterday catching all of Narita's and Haneda's airplanes from being shutdown. It turned into mess and gaggle of airplanes. Cell phones couldn't be used and internet along with power went out in some areas. My dorm building felt like it was going to collapse and some of the towers on base were swaying around like bent rubber. Some C130s bounced terribly and moved on the ground. We had to launch our planes out and make room for the overflow coming in. I'm fine and will be busy loading planes this weekend for the relief.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #78
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

Holy Smokes Bob, unfortunate that he's in Japan, but I'm glad to hear he is OK.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #79
tblake
In God We Trust

So, on Thursday night at autovalue I had this guy come in. He wanted a part for his 1995 Chevy K1500. I forgot what part, it doesn't matter. He told me his vehicle and I asked if it was Throttle Body Injected or Vortec. He looked at me and said "no, its carburated". So I stopped looking on the computer for a second and looked at him and said. "so you put a carburator on it?". He said "NO NO, It came that way from the factory". So I said "don't you mean throttle body injected?". And he continued to argue with me. Regardless I looked up a 95 TBI because he obviously had no idea there were two fuel injectors in his so called "carburetor".

Then tonight some kid came to the counter with a 3/16th brake line that he had bought from a competitor. It was one of those that are already double flared and have ends on it. He said he blew a brake line apart in his Jeep and asked for "compression fittings". I questioned a little and brought out a 3/16's inch union connection for brake lines. He wanted nothing to do with it and insisted to use compression fittings...... So he bought some compression fittings and didn't listen to anything anyone at the counter had to say about it. All he had to say was "My dad works on cars all the time and he told me to get these".... Idiot better not drive anywhere near me.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #80
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
I'm glad my second son is safe in Japan. He's a SSGT Jet Propulsion Tech stationed outside of Tokyo at Yokota Air Force Base about 30 minutes Northwest. First hand accounting of what he experienced with the 8.9 earthquake. They are now helping out with relief efforts. BTW - He has a Japanese version '91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo "Fairlady".
It's goo to know he is OK, I just saw a video on "gizmodo" of the water flooding the city and MAN, That's scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post
So, on Thursday night at autovalue I had this guy come in. He wanted a part for his 1995 Chevy K1500. I forgot what part, it doesn't matter. He told me his vehicle and I asked if it was Throttle Body Injected or Vortec. He looked at me and said "no, its carburated". So I stopped looking on the computer for a second and looked at him and said. "so you put a carburator on it?". He said "NO NO, It came that way from the factory". So I said "don't you mean throttle body injected?". And he continued to argue with me. Regardless I looked up a 95 TBI because he obviously had no idea there were two fuel injectors in his so called "carburetor".

Then tonight some kid came to the counter with a 3/16th brake line that he had bought from a competitor. It was one of those that are already double flared and have ends on it. He said he blew a brake line apart in his Jeep and asked for "compression fittings". I questioned a little and brought out a 3/16's inch union connection for brake lines. He wanted nothing to do with it and insisted to use compression fittings...... So he bought some compression fittings and didn't listen to anything anyone at the counter had to say about it. All he had to say was "My dad works on cars all the time and he told me to get these".... Idiot better not drive anywhere near me.
Well Tim, at least you guys behind the counter know your businesses and DO TRY to help the costumer with good suggestion and try to make sure they get what they need; Where I live it's the opposite way, most of the times I go to the shop I have to either take a picture with me or the exact part number of the item I need, sometimes (with my little knowledge) I even need to explain those guys how things work, go figure...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #81
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:

Sounds like the guy I overheard who wanted plug wires for his Grand Am GT. I heard the parts guy ask "So you have the V6?" and the guy goes "No its a 3 cylinder"

The parts guy's jaw dropped. He tried for 5 minutes to explain to the guy that there were 3 more cylinders on the back side of the engine and the guy didn't want to listen to him and basically said that they (the auto parts workers) didn't know what they were talking about.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #82
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

In Michigan, it is illegal to sell compression fittings if the customer specifically states he's using them on brake lines. If you do and the customer has a brake failure, they can sue you.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #83
tblake
In God We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz View Post
In Michigan, it is illegal to sell compression fittings if the customer specifically states he's using them on brake lines. If you do and the customer has a brake failure, they can sue you.
Thats why I kept my hands out of it. I wanted nothing to do with it. I dont think its illegal to sell them in MN, but for sure know its illegal to install them in brake lines. We even told the kid that.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #84
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Reading these "discussions" with customers in auto parts shops reminds me of when I used to deal with them in the late '80s/early '90s. I think we could start a new thread and fill it with posts from our own experiences with the public and also include mechanics in the mix as I'm sure we all have some interesting stories over the years.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #85
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Tom, I've been in the parts industry for 25+ years. I could write a book!

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #86
Make 'em Last
AF Newbie

Now that you won't be buying a new Grand Prix, what new performance cars interest you? Camaro? Mustang? Audi?

My '99 Olds Intrigue has 193K and I'm weary of working on it. And even if I did, I would have an Intrigue. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great sporty, family sedan we bought new Oct. '99.

Kids are raised, and I now have a chance to buy a car for me. This is a first, as I've previously bought vehicles for other purposes - including my F-250 bought in Colorado to tow my son's Ranger home.

Absolutely no regrets. But now I'm looking for me. Conflicting goals - my daily driver does 500 miles per week. Gas prices are increasing. But I want more enjoyment per mile. Current 6 cly direct injection engines are efficient & peppy, but I long for the deep throated roar of a V8.

The new Camero SS convertible brings back memories of my Dad's '65 Chevy Caprice Super Sport convertible (I was in HS). Canary yellow with white top & interior. Our arrangement was simple - I kept it looking sharp, and I could borrow it on weekends for dates. On college track so no ride of my own. Can easily hit $40K for this Camaro. Yeah, I have trouble getting off the dime.

So I watch the roads each day commuting - most cars I see have no soul. You see the Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers & Challengers a mile off. Yeah, I see the GTPs too. Know the value of buying the 3-4 year old used cars, but really appreciate a new engine that I take care of from scratch.

Apologies for the ramblings. Several of you have offered sage advice over the years as I've "kept the wheels turning" on my 3.8L. Care about your thoughts on the future performance cars. Thanks in advance.

-- Scotty
'98 Ranger SuperCab 3.0L V6 180K
1st Born - '11 Mustang V6 Auto Black no badges
2nd Born - '10 Camaro V6 6sp Synergy Green
Make 'em Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #87
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner View Post
Reading these "discussions" with customers in auto parts shops reminds me of when I used to deal with them in the late '80s/early '90s. I think we could start a new thread and fill it with posts from our own experiences with the public and also include mechanics in the mix as I'm sure we all have some interesting stories over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make 'em Last View Post
Now that you won't be buying a new Grand Prix, what new performance cars interest you? Camaro? Mustang? Audi?

My '99 Olds Intrigue has 193K and I'm weary of working on it. And even if I did, I would have an Intrigue. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great sporty, family sedan we bought new Oct. '99.

Kids are raised, and I now have a chance to buy a car for me. This is a first, as I've previously bought vehicles for other purposes - including my F-250 bought in Colorado to tow my son's Ranger home.

Absolutely no regrets. But now I'm looking for me. Conflicting goals - my daily driver does 500 miles per week. Gas prices are increasing. But I want more enjoyment per mile. Current 6 cly direct injection engines are efficient & peppy, but I long for the deep throated roar of a V8.

The new Camero SS convertible brings back memories of my Dad's '65 Chevy Caprice Super Sport convertible (I was in HS). Canary yellow with white top & interior. Our arrangement was simple - I kept it looking sharp, and I could borrow it on weekends for dates. On college track so no ride of my own. Can easily hit $40K for this Camaro. Yeah, I have trouble getting off the dime.

So I watch the roads each day commuting - most cars I see have no soul. You see the Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers & Challengers a mile off. Yeah, I see the GTPs too. Know the value of buying the 3-4 year old used cars, but really appreciate a new engine that I take care of from scratch.

Apologies for the ramblings. Several of you have offered sage advice over the years as I've "kept the wheels turning" on my 3.8L. Care about your thoughts on the future performance cars. Thanks in advance.

-- Scotty
Looking forward to read those stories and comments about both subjects!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #88
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Holy Smokes Bob, unfortunate that he's in Japan, but I'm glad to hear he is OK.
Tim, its all part of serving your country. It could be worse. He could be stationed in Afghanistan but he's already been there several times and did fine. His tour of duty should be up in about one year.

Here's an update on the situation in Japan from his perspective.

Quote:
We are still getting aftershocks of 6.0 on a daily basis, this time in Tokyo near the base. Everything is shut down off base. Food and gas are vanishing along with electrical power. Work is crazy busy and the relief efforts are still going on. They say there are no abnormal radiation levels, but then I say what are the normal levels. There are heavy winds so they could be blowing over here. Even if there was radiation levels, they wouldn't tell us not to freak everyone out. If worse comes to worse they will evacuate all the dependents and we will probably still be working. I'm tired and we are constantly pushing aircraft out faster than ever and wont have any time off projected for the next month or two. I was already on 12 hour shifts last week from an exercise and the quake happened on the last day of our exercise. I'm working 7pm to 7am. Talk to you later.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #89
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

That's tough Bob, I hope things get better for everybody over there. What I really admire is how japanese people keep the discipline, there have been no riots, people waits for their turns, I wish everywhere was the same...

BTW I read on a newspaper today that a diplomat from the US says radiation has reached the country, did you guys read anything about it over there?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #90
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
BTW I read on a newspaper today that a diplomat from the US says radiation has reached the country, did you guys read anything about it over there?
Supposedly very small trace levels have reached California according to the evening news channels. However, I wouldn't be popping any Potassium-Iodide pills yet.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix