Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
skywolf21
AF Newbie

Unhappy Desperately need help in times of difficulty

Hello automotive forumers,

I come today to you for your advice and insights about one of the collision that involved me today, I am a foreign student and because I do not have insurance, just bought the car and I'll have to pay for the damage very soon. My finance is very limited and I may have to loan some money from the bank, I cannot how describe how stressful it has been for me to figure out what would be the most affordable way to repair a car.

Short story I was turning into my apartment's gate and this car crashed into mine, no-one was hurt, but both cars were damaged, I've attached the image, it's a Ford SUV 2006 for reasons I cannot discuss I will be the one paying for the damage although he crashed into me but he had the right of way but he was in my blind spot when i was turning.

I really need your insights on how much (closest approximate) to repair it to post-crash condition. The furthest I can take this car is to Phoenix AZ, I understand I'm no body asking for help from strangers but I am really desperate in finding a way to pay for this and still able to afford living and studying in the states. I thank you for reading this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (46.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (46.4 KB, 4 views)
skywolf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Desperately need help in times of difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywolf21 View Post
I am really desperate in finding a way to pay for this and still able to afford living and studying in the states.
I think the most important question is 'why do you think you must pay for the damage to the other vehicle'?

The other driver may be partially, or entirely at fault here, and may have an obligation to cover some or all of their repair costs.

Has any authority investigated this to determine fault, or are you just being nice and taking the blame? I can see how the other driver may use your unfamiliarity with US laws against you in persuading you to pay.

Finally, why doesn't the other driver make a claim against their own insurance?

I am sure state driving and insurance regulations influence this situation. Hopefully someone else more familiar with the appropriate laws can add an opinion here. However, since reparations will place an undue hardship upon yourself, you should investigate alternatives.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
skywolf21
AF Newbie

Thank you sir for your response. I only turned because I've cleared the mirror and also signaled, I've talked to other that were there including the police officer they all said I may have not seen him coming because he was too far right for my mirror to pick up.

As much as I want to settle the way you suggested, the car I just bought I have no insurance and I don't have a driver license but I've registered the car, I just took it out on the open space on the opposite side of the road for a spin and comeback and this happened, my only option here to pay the other driver's repair, he was the one crashing into my car, my car is also damaged but you can totally tell who was crashing into who. If he goes and claim for insurance he says the insurance company will need a police report and if the police checks up on me, I'll take the fall because I don't have an insurance and license. So I know I'm responsible in this accident, I've asked to pay for repair and I just wanted to know the approximate cost for that suv to be repair.

To further add to the problem the driver is a lawyer so yes I just want to get this done and say good bye to him.
skywolf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

For the repair, I am guessing $3000 - 6000 depending on if used or OEM-new parts are used.

I am sorry for you and your situation. It's bad luck. However, I think you need to seek legal advice on this for several reasons:

The other driver is not the police. Paying his bill is no guarantee that the police may won't investigate this in future, leading to more trouble for you.

Many jurisdictions require traffic accidents occurring on public roads to be reported to the police. You and the other driver may have a legal obligation to report this accident anyways.

Do you have any drivers license or learners permit from another country?If yes, you may have been operating the car legally.

There is an issue here too about repair shop accountability. Imho some bodyshops may inflate the bill when they realize neither the car owner nor any insurance company is holding them accountable. You may end up paying thousands more than is necessary simply because you have no control over the acceptability of the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywolf21 View Post
he says
I maintain you are making a decision on the biased opinion of an alleged lawyer who caused a traffic accident. He obviously has a vested interest in not reporting this and not making an insurance claim. He might simply be extorting money out of you just due to a lack of drivers licence.

I think you need to see a lawyer about this for your own interests.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote