Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

2001 s10 died while driving

2001 s10 100kmiles died yesterday while driving. no codes...just shut off and wont restart. did a quick test with a spark checker from harbor freight and see no spark so i replaced the ignition coil..25 bucks so i took a shot and still nothing. there is fuel at the pressure checkpoint but i have not yet checked the pressure. cap and rotor are in rough shape so im going to change anyways because they are obviously due...would that cause this? not sure. anything anyone can recommend would be awesome..thanks.

meanwhile my astro van is at a garage with a missfire code nobody can seem to properly diagnose (i gave up)....not my week for 4.3's
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 s10 died while driving

Every piece in the ignition, helps it to run better. So yes, you need a good cap and rotor as well. However, first spray carb cleaner or something of the likes in the air intake to throttle body, then crank over engine. If it starts or tries to start, then it is verified a fuel issue, meaning could be fue pump, not spark. If it just cranks with no change in cranking, it is a spark issue. Then it could be the tuneup items like cap n rotor or before the coil, would be the ignition coil pickup plate under the cap and rotor. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

I've seen the ignition switch go bad on those--check to see if you have battery voltage at the coil when ignition switch is in "run" and/or "start" . Use a DVM or a test light to be sure.

I had one (4.3 Blazer) that tried to start only after you let off the "start" position- it would give about 2 shots and not run in run. Come to find out the voltage to coil dropped out when in start position--right when you need it most-and came back on in "run" position..Put 12v directly to coil with jumper and she started right up (by-passing ignition switch). new ignition switch fixed it.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
blkmonday
AF Regular

going to dive a little deeper. just watched a great video on youtube how to check ignition switch. gonna run some tests. ill be back after i get to it. snow and rain here today so maybe tomorrow
Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
I've seen the ignition switch go bad on those--check to see if you have battery voltage at the coil when ignition switch is in "run" and/or "start" . Use a DVM or a test light to be sure.

I had one (4.3 Blazer) that tried to start only after you let off the "start" position- it would give about 2 shots and not run in run. Come to find out the voltage to coil dropped out when in start position--right when you need it most-and came back on in "run" position..Put 12v directly to coil with jumper and she started right up (by-passing ignition switch). new ignition switch fixed it.
Yes, forgot that.

What year is your Blazer? Got one 93 plow truck.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
blkmonday
AF Regular

Had a little time today. Ran a test light to pink wire at coil. Power with key on and power with it in start. Same at ignition fuse so I'm thinking g the ignition switch is good. Going to replace cap and rotor next since I will need that done anyways. They dont look that awful that it would be a no run situation but I guess ya never know.

On another note got my astro back today. Replaced the distributor and found bad wire to spider...cylinder 6. Fixed the 6 misfire and ran good for a bit. Now I have cylinder 1 misfire.....ugh

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10