Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #31
davi9735
AF Newbie

Re: Engine shuts off while driving

My 2003 Santa Fe has shut off while at a stop once, no lights came on and it started right back up. I wouldn't be too concerned but then about 2 weeks later something very similar happened to what "WD squared" described above:

"While driving on the highway, at 70 mph, the vehicle had done something quite alarming, and I believe related to the prior stalling problem. In a total time that is only a fraction of a second, the engine seems to stop, then restart/continue running. When this happens the whole vehicle will bang/thump loudly as the power is returned to the drive train."

I'm hoping to catch this problem before anything worse happens, but want to avoid paying lots of money in diagnostic fees, so please let me know your suggestions!

Additionally, my car never starts right away after I get gas. It turns over about 3 times before it will stay on for good. Any chance these things could be related?

Thanks!
davi9735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odai View Post
i have an 05 grand prix with 130XXX thousand miles on it. it shuts off while drivin and it only shuts off when im on the hwy and thats just pissin me off cuz i took it to 2 different mechanics and its not even fixed yet , they changed 5 different parts and it keeps on shuttin off. idk wt to do!!
I think GM has ignition switch problems.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #33
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davi9735 View Post
My 2003 Santa Fe has shut off while at a stop once, no lights came on and it started right back up. I wouldn't be too concerned but then about 2 weeks later something very similar happened to what "WD squared" described above:

"While driving on the highway, at 70 mph, the vehicle had done something quite alarming, and I believe related to the prior stalling problem. In a total time that is only a fraction of a second, the engine seems to stop, then restart/continue running. When this happens the whole vehicle will bang/thump loudly as the power is returned to the drive train."

I'm hoping to catch this problem before anything worse happens, but want to avoid paying lots of money in diagnostic fees, so please let me know your suggestions!

Additionally, my car never starts right away after I get gas. It turns over about 3 times before it will stay on for good. Any chance these things could be related?

Thanks!
Clean the ground wire where it bolts onto the frame clean & remove paint put a little grease on it when done.
On a 2.7L the crankshaft sensor is above the starter disconnect ground wire and the plate covering the starter and replace if cleaning the ground doesn't fix it. The other problem check the EGR system.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #34
jobaihy
AF Newbie

The very same problem ( engine shuts off while driving ) happened with me twice today in a hyundai accent 2010 1.6. In my case it was the crank sensor that has malfunctioned. I had it replaced and now all are ok. However there may be other reasons to the same problem. Check with mechanic.
jobaihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #35
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Hyundai has some problems with crank sensor shutting down. Go to Advance or Auto Zone and have the codes pulled the crank sensor will normally set a code. This is a free test at the parts store.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 AM   #36
Alycia
AF Newbie

Try replacing the crank shaft sensor or the ignition coil, I would try the crank shaft sensor first as it's the most likely and it's cheaper
Alycia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #37
Alycia
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Engine shuts off while driving

Oh ps the codes don't show up so times for the crank shaft sensor and ignition coil
Alycia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #38
Gbeeks123
AF Newbie

For those with Hyundai try replacing the purge vale. About a forty dollar piece and a easy fix.

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/purge-valve.html
Gbeeks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #39
royjason96
AF Newbie

I just bought a 2003 with 25000 miles on it that has shut off twice while driving. Once at a traffic light while I was turning and the other time in a traffic jam.
royjason96 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06