Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Non Specific
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non Specific This is the forum to post and generalized racing questions.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Automobile Maniac
AF Enthusiast

AWD--for racing, why would you want anything else?

My Laser (Eclipse for those not in the know) that I just sold to pay for moving out of state had All Wheel Drive. From 0-around 30mph it beat
everything I raced off the line at the stoplight, especially when the roads were wet. The victims included Last Generation V8 Camaros, Mustangs, a few corvettes, RSX's, and pretty much any other car you can think of. When I was up around 15mph, the other cars were usually spinning their front or rear tires. It was pretty funny.

After I hit the speed limit, I would keep it around that. Although some cars definately passed me before I reached the limit, mostly Corvettes, the others would usually fly by me and then go way faster than the speed limit. I was just waiting for the day when somebody flew by me and went 20mph or more over the limit and got pulled over, that never happened but man that would have been funny.

So, the question is--if you had AWD as an option on every automobile ever made that had the same amount of power as the other drive configurations, why would you want front or rear wheel drive?

It's faster, safer, and handles better. My next car/truck/suv will be AWD. Some of you might say AWD is "training wheels" but you are the people that have never experienced it.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
UnderEstimate Me
AF Enthusiast

Re: AWD--for racing, why would you want anything else?

Its called drivetrain loss.

Honestly, who cares if you have them from 0-30, they will just come and beat you in the top end. Believe me I love awd but I dont think its always the way to go.

IMO- RWD>AWD>FWD

2005 Neon

Stage 1 PCM l K&N CAI l Mopar rice plate l 3'' TBE l Spring mod l PB shift knob l Mopar strut bars F&R l ACR sways l Tokico Shocks/ Tein Springs l Ricey wing removal l JMB Catch Can l QW FMIC l Autometer WB l Diablosport Predator
Old 04-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
r.j-lo
AF Regular

AWD for racing? Nothing wrong with it, but really your title should be AWD for LAUNCHING, since thats basically all you do is outlaunch the other cars. Just beating them off the line does not determine the race. Especially if you only get it up to 45mph!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

Try outlaunching a RWD car that has been set-up to launch.

Also moved to non specific.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
98StangGT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobile Maniac

It's faster, safer, and handles better. My next car/truck/suv will be AWD. Some of you might say AWD is "training wheels" but you are the people that have never experienced it.
Care to explain how it's faster? Or do you not know what you are talking about?
Yes, in stock trim, it will pull a better 0-60 than most RWD or FWD cars. But to say AWD is better than RWD in anything other than wet and harsh driving conditions is retarded.

For one you get a massive drivetrain loss. Ever wonder why some 300BHP STi's dyno the same as a 260BHP Mustang GT? That loss of power is enough to make it not worth it...

Second, AWD is no match for a properly set-up RWD. Sure, racing on the street AWD has an advantage against RWD/FWD cars because slicks aren't an options. But on a prepped track, RWD reins supreme.

And don't go doubting other people's driving knoweledge. I, in fact, own an AWD Eclipse, so I have experience AWD. And I will still tell you (even though I shouldn't have to because it's pretty much common knoweledge) that RWD > AWD.

[/thread]
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Disclaimer: im not yelling, im not angry.

Well Ive owned every drive train there is and I can say yes, AWD is safer then RWD.....and thats about the only thing you said that was said right.

See you beat those other cars off the line but you stopped at the speed limit...either 35 or 40 or 55 then right? well I very much doubt anyone here will consider that "racing". I call that taking off vigorously and then chickening out. the other cars flew past you technically they won based on the fact that they finished the race. If you go to any sort of motorsport race and you go through the start line but never make it past the finishline....well then mate you didnt win did you? no you got the jump of the line, cheers, but you lost the race.

now on to your mistakes:
-If every car made had AWD options and made the same power well then why buy FWD or RWD. easy, because both the FWD and RWD wouls still make more WHP and achieve higher top ends. top end, well yes but most of us never see top end. well the AWD dudes do. look at the STI, a rally bread 300 hp beast.....only makes 140 or so top speed.......thats pathetic! Ive taken rental cars up past that on every road trip ive ever been on!

-Its faster. only off the line, only for a second or so, RWD cars still dominate every single Drag, drift, road, time attack and any other form of pro racing except for rally.
IF awd really is faster how come F1 cars arent AWD?

-Handles better. well it depends really on what you mean by handles.
if you mean you wont spin out and hit a tree then yes it does.
If you mean funner to drive? then your wrong. RWD cars are teh sex when it comes to pure uncompromized racing and driving thrill and satisfaction. the open road, the oversteering and powersliding and crazy havoc of horse power being delicately ballanced on a razor's edge. no bigger thrill.

Like I said ive experienced all and I stay with RWD. AWD is uninspiring, unchallenging, boorish ect..

and for the record Ive had:
2 fwd turbo DSMs
Firebird Formula
1 Talon TSI (yes that the AWD one)
an SRT-4
Mitsubishi Starion
3000GT
Eclipse
GTO

06 GTO: SLP Longtubes, SLP Loudmouth II K&N intake,
Ported Intake Manifold,
Ported Throttle body, MAF screen delete.
Tunned by Jeremy Formato. 381whp, 376wtq.
07 Ion Redline: Bone stock w/ factory Competition package.

In response to a race my wife had while pregnant with our baby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Prediction.... I bet we will hear about a guy down in Miami thats the King of street racing in about 18 years...Way to get him started....
Old 04-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Because some of us race past 30mph.
I have AWD, and while I love it, it definantly does have its disadvantages.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

handling has nothing to do with drivetrain. it has to do with suspention, chassis, and tires.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748

AWD needs more cowbell.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
2000LS1Z28
AF Enthusiast

I've owned 2 AWD car, and yes, you will most likely have a hole shot advantage. You sound like an annoying geek though, based upon how you try to get people to go over the speed limit, so that they can get busted.

I guess you're one of those people that considers a win from 0-30mph.

My nickname for you is WEISEL.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Automobile Maniac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28

My nickname for you is WEISEL.
My nickname for you is GRAMMATICALLY CHALLENGED since WIESEL not weisel is the correct spelling of that furry little animal.

Anyhow, besides this guy, some of you made some pretty good sense. Around town I stayed within the limits because of Florida's new law (see this thread=http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=471075)

Racing on the backroads in Florida I got the DSM Demon up to around 100+ or so, where nobody passed me until I slowed down.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Drive a BMW 330i and a 330xi or an Infiniti G35 and a G35x back to back and tell me which one was better.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
Old 04-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

100mph? ROFL , dude thats what my 55 year old dad does every morning on his way to work in his 95 Dodge Caravan! ohhhh tooo funny if you think 100 mph is fast.

oh man, listen im in Florida, in Miami 20 minutes west of downtown. tell me where you are and Ill drive up and give you some driving lessons for free.

06 GTO: SLP Longtubes, SLP Loudmouth II K&N intake,
Ported Intake Manifold,
Ported Throttle body, MAF screen delete.
Tunned by Jeremy Formato. 381whp, 376wtq.
07 Ion Redline: Bone stock w/ factory Competition package.

In response to a race my wife had while pregnant with our baby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Prediction.... I bet we will hear about a guy down in Miami thats the King of street racing in about 18 years...Way to get him started....
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #14
Automobile Maniac
AF Enthusiast

Hey I remember you, your that little jokester dude who said on my new law in FL thread that you like to knife-kick people in the windpipe. Remember? you got in a big argument with that digital quirk guy. Your funny man, are you even old enough to drive yet?

Anyhow, pay attention dude, I said 100+ mph not 100mph. I think the fastest I got it up to was like 145. How much faster? I don't know, that's as far as my speedometer went.

And before you jump in with some "speed limiter tops out" crap, my car did not have one.

And I would love for you to sneak out of your bedroom window, steal your dads van and meet up with me to race, but if you pay attention, (which seems to be a big problem of yours) I sold that car as indicated in my have, sold and want red and black picture on my signature area.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd

AWD is not supreme for drag racing, but is good for rally racing and in lower traction areas

RWD would be ideal for drag racing, but not necessarily the best for road racing, however formula cars are not AWD, they are RWD for a reason, AWD is weight that they don't need w/ stickier tires in the rear.

AWD is safer for lower traction times, and it is all based on preference in everyday driving. also on what you could afford b/c AWD is more expensive to maintain and work on sometimes.

There is really nothing wrong w/ the various types of drive offered and available in the market, it is all based on personal preference and how you drive. So i don't think that saying "AWD rules" is quite fair

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Non Specific