Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Bosscheesemo
AF Newbie

New guy to automotive world looking for a beginners car.

Hello everybody! I have a few questions about cars and I'm very new so I hope you pardon any total newbie questions I ask.

Before I get to them a little background info about me: I know very little about cars. Though as I'm an electronics engineer I'm technically inclined, able to figure out how things work, and I have a general understanding of the principles of how a car works. Recently I attempted to fix a problem with my automobile myself (YouTube made it seem like a very simple and straightforward task) but I botched it, leafing to quite a bit of money being shelled out at the local shop.

I'm interested in finding a car that is easily maintained with simple hand tools available from any hardware store. A car that literally anybody willing to attempt the endeavor can fix any issue that arise with it. Essentially a car that a novice mechanic (me) can learn everything about an automobile with.

Various optional preferences in this car include:
-Customizeable
-upgradeable
-Either a classic car look or something with ground clearance

In other words, a car for a Linux user that builds his own computers.

So, does such a car exist? One that is easily maintained, fixed, and preferably upgradable by a novice with tools available from any hardware store? If so, then are there any recommendations?

Thanks everybody!

Edit: being an electronics engineer, I'm OK with lots of electronics in this car. I will be adding quite a few electronics upgrades so electronics are OK and even preferred.

Last edited by Bosscheesemo; 05-31-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Change title
Bosscheesemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Dave B.
AF Regular

Re: New guy to automotive world looking for a beginners car.

I'd recommend a '79 or earlier Chevy. Chevelles and Camaros are pricey, so either a full-size car or a Chevy II/Nova would be a good choice. I'm suggesting a Chevrolet because, as far as I know, the parts are the least expensive of the major brands and are also very easy to find.

There are any number of good forums on the internet for these cars. Besides YouTube videos, the folks on the forums tend to be very helpful when they know that they're dealing with people new to the hobby.

The '67 and earlier cars are especially nice since they don't have much, if any, smog control equipment. That makes tuning them much easier.

Last edited by Dave B.; 05-31-2015 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Add text
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General