Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Dennis60
AF Newbie

body work 66 chevelle

i need to put a skim coat of bondo on sheet metal surfaces, can bondo be thinned ? even light weight bondo is too thick - a thinner consistancy would produce that creamy smooth look to the finished paint job.
Dennis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: body work 66 chevelle

Regular body filler is designed to go on very thin, but it cannot be thinned. However, if you have larger areas requiring a thin coat, use a high-build primer. This is essentially spray-on bondo.
You apply it using a regular auto body type spray gun, and apply it in layers, one after another. Each layer is a bit thicker than a regular layer of spray paint. It dries very quickly, and very soon you can have a 1/16 inch layer or thicker, which can be sanded smooth.

Since its a spray - on, it needs less work than regular bondo to get a proper contour on certain types of panels, and you can apply it to large areas in the fraction of the time required by regular bondo.

It is intended for filling minor imperfections, such as the pockmarks you get after sandblasting a rusty panel.

Usually, it is a beige colour, so a sanding guide coat can be applied on top very easily .

Any decent auto-body supplies retailer can get it for you.

Look here for more info.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Dennis60
AF Newbie

Thank you for that very precise very accurate response. To apply these polyester primers requires a nozzle dia of .087 normal guns dia nozzle is .070 for paint/primer. Price for such is $150 for devilblis. now i do have a cheap gun which i can drill out to required diam and apply said product. that seems to be the only way out of this dilema.
Dennis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I seem to recall my bodyshop friends kept a older, inexpensive gun handy specifically for applying high build primer only.
They did not spray it on with their normal guns.

IMO you could drill out your old gun and experiment. This stuff is intended to be sanded so I dont think any variations in spray pattern due to a drilled nozzle is going to matter much.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Groundupautosports
AF Newbie

Evercoat makes Plastik Honey. Can be used for thinning all types of body fillers. Works very well to skim coat an entire panel when a high build primer is just not enough.
Groundupautosports is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars