Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
LarryGLack
AF Newbie

92 s10 blazer 4wd remote oil filter line leak at adapter o-rings

I noticed a drip on the remote oil filter adapter connecting block, it was appearing from the seam between the block with the supply and return lines to the oil filter and the engine adapter. I purchased a gasket set and replaced the two O rings, the old ones were hard and flat. The new ones are soft and round, I thought that would stop the seep, but there was no change. So after removing a few more times and cleaning, even substituting a slightly different size O ring with no change in the drip. The two aluminum blocks are held together by a 13 mm bolt. It is a 1992 S-10 Blazer 4WD 4.3L. None of the crimps are leaking. I guess the next step is to take the whole thing out and get a good look at it, I thought I would post here just in case someone else had already solved one like this! Thanks
LarryGLack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 92 s10 blazer 4wd remote oil filter line leak at adapter o-rings

You could add a tracer dye to the engine oil,run it and check the leak with a UV lamp. That would pinpoint it if you have visual access to it.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
LarryGLack
AF Newbie

When I put the two halves together clean and start the engine, the first oil appears in the seam between the two aluminum faces. If it is not the O rings , there must be a flaw in the aluminum. I guess I'll pull out the adapter and hoses and see if I can spot the trouble with it on the bench... Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
LarryGLack
AF Newbie

After I removed the hoses and engine block adapter I found the surface of the block adapter was not smooth. It still had milling marks on it, I used some #400 wet or dry on it and gave it a smooth finish. I put it back on the engine and ran it for a test. NO Leak! I guess its been letting a little oil out since it was new. I checked the filter end and found it was smooth and had no milling marks. (it also did not leak). Easy fix but should have been done when it was put together at the factory I think ;-)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1992 , adapter , filter , oil , remote
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis