Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
ralphis04
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ralphis04
Thumbs down 89 6000 le died on me

I have a 89 6000 le with a 2.8 liter. For a while there had been hesitation when driving specially from stops. This continually got worse till one day when accelerating the engine died on me and wouldn't start again. After a day of sitting it started and worked for a few more days then died again. This happened two more times untill it finally stopped starting. It will turn over and sounds like its about to start but wont start there is some gas in the oil i dont know what from i have heard mnay things that could have caused this i was just wondering if anyone has incounter the same kind of problem.
ralphis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
randman1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 89 6000 le died on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphis04
there is some gas in the oil
This is usually not a good sign. Upon first reading your post, I was going to say that you might just have a fuel filter problem but then you threw that in.

The only time I've ever encountered fuel in the oil is when my brother had an electrical problem and one of his fuel injectors was constantly pumping fuel into it's cylinder. It did a number on the whole motor.

Do you see thinning of the oil or smell gas when you pull the dipstick out?
randman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

you may have a crank sensor gone bad. You are getting gas in the oil because you have no spark and raw fuel in the cylinders that is escaping past the rings.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
maddogonbanjo
AF Newbie

Question Pontiac 6000

If I didn't know better I would say the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank is what died. Did you try to run it while squirting a little starting fluid in the carb, if it will run, you might not be getting fuel. If it runs while doing this get someone to hit the fuel tank while your cranking to see if it will start, if it does, you need a fuel pump.
maddogonbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Doubleshot
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Doubleshot

Don't start throwing money at this motor until you completley troubleshoot it. You will need a manual. The fuel pump is relatively easy to check. Open the gas cap, have someone turn the key to run. The pump should make noise in the tank for a few seconds and stop. If not, could be the pump, could be the pump relay. Fuel press gage at parts store $40. Make sure you have spark. Again, troubleshoot before buying parts. Can be expensive.
Real common on these older cars, especially if you used fuel cleaner. The old injectors ran the fuel over the coils washing the insulation. The injectors have to carry at least 20ohmms over the circuit of three injectors. with out that the computer gets damaged. The computer is tough though, so if you check the inj and the resistance is low, try just the injectors first. By it trying to start at first, I would think the ign is fine. It's trying to start, can't do that without fire. You smell gas in the oil, that means fuel overdelivery. Injectors. My 2 cents...
Doubleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Doubleshot
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Doubleshot

One more thing....any computer codes?
Doubleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
royengle
AF Newbie

I think there is a shorted fuel injector wire here:

Originally Posted by My Sixth Gear
I encountered a similar problem with the 3100 where the cylinder six fuel injector was shorted and only had a 1 ohm resistance value, this caused all the current to go this injector and the other two injectors on the same bank weren't firing causing the engine to stall. Try checking the resistance values of the injectors, all should be around 6 or so ohms.
royengle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000