Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
hink123321
AF Newbie

Rock chips on hood-White primer??

This has always bothered me since we bought a new 95 Merc Villager. The hood on them was ideal to get many,many rock chips. For this reason I hated this vehicle. Now this is happening to my 2002 Envoy that we bought 3 months ago. The color of the Villager was dark green and the Envoy is dark blue. What bugs me about the rock chips is it seems like the primer that is used is "white" in color so when you do get a rock chip it makes it even more noticable. Why can't the automakers use a darker colored primer(or a primer that comes closer to matching the paint)so that when you do get a rock chip it won't be as noticeable? It seems that I do remember reading somewhere that if you are going to have your hood painted because of this the body shop can mix the primer with the color of your vehicle and this will help. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks!
hink123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
jdrumstik
AF Regular

Re: Rock chips on hood-White primer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hink123321
This has always bothered me since we bought a new 95 Merc Villager. The hood on them was ideal to get many,many rock chips. For this reason I hated this vehicle. Now this is happening to my 2002 Envoy that we bought 3 months ago. The color of the Villager was dark green and the Envoy is dark blue. What bugs me about the rock chips is it seems like the primer that is used is "white" in color so when you do get a rock chip it makes it even more noticable. Why can't the automakers use a darker colored primer(or a primer that comes closer to matching the paint)so that when you do get a rock chip it won't be as noticeable? It seems that I do remember reading somewhere that if you are going to have your hood painted because of this the body shop can mix the primer with the color of your vehicle and this will help. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks!

My 88 Lude reapinted in 02 had tons of those chips. It just happens. Its easy to touchup though with a little bottle and a fine brush.
jdrumstik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General