Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
4tuna
AF Newbie

Trimming required? (new AT Revos)

I realize this is a partial repeat of some earlier threads but want to be sure of the correct solution......apologies if redundant.

I have a stock 2001 X SE, and just replaced standard 255/65/R16 Generals with new 265/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. This adds about 2" to the outer diameter of the tires - from 29" on the stock tire to 31" on the Revos.

I had the shop crank up the torsion bars about an inch and realign, but the tires still rub a little when reversing and turning sharp, or turning hard on road. I am worried what this might mean for offroad performance. I have asked about tightening some more (I have read that up to 1.5" is OK on the X without voiding warranty) but the shop won't do it.

What is the best solution here? Is trimming the only or best answer? Would aftermarket torsion bars help? I don't want to spend a lot of cash, but also don't like the idea of cutting up the X.....

Thx
4tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

You really shouldn't go more than about an inch lift on the factory A-arms and lifting won't keep the tires from rubbing all the time anyway since they will still rub under compression. The trimming you need to do is extremely minimal and only to the plastic piece behind the wheel. Just take a dremel or clippers or something and cut a little bit out right at the bottom behind the tire. If you turn the wheels you will be able to see where and how much. It's very minor and nobody will even notice it. Those plastic pieces are only about $20 anyway, so if you want to put it back to stock later it's no big deal, although i can't imagine anyone bothering.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Trimming required? (new AT Revos)

There are 2 forms of rubbing. Compression rubbing of the tire against the plastic fender liner roughly in the area where the bumper meets the fender inside the wheel opening, and rubbing when turning on the bottom edges of the wheel opening.
The compression rubbing is reduced, but not eliminated, by the torsion bar adjustment, it just makes it harder to fully stuff the tire but it will rub just the same when you do. It's harmless and you shouldn't crank a lot to deal with it. If you rub a hole in the plastic, there's nothing behind it to be harmed, I've done it.
The rubbing while turning requires trimming of the plastic. Observe where the tire rubs on the bottom edge of the flare between the tire and the door and trim the plastic lip back as needed. 32" diamater tires may need some trimming on the edge of the bumper ahead of the tire too. Observe, trim, lather, rinse, repeat until desired results are achieved.
If you find the trimming makes it impossible to mount the mudflaps but you still want to have them, drop $20 on a set of 2002+ flaps. 2 new holes in the flare and they will bolt right on.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
4tuna
AF Newbie

Thanks gentlemen, I will break out the Sawzall this weekend.
4tuna is offline   Reply With Quote