Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Awood14
AF Newbie

$8000 to spend

If you had $8000 for a car but wanted to get aftermarket parts as well, how would you divide up the money? 6 for the car 2 for the parts etc..? Obviously in this price range I would be looking for a used car with substantial miles on it. I was looking into small foreign cars, Integras, 3000gts, etc.
Awood14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: $8000 to spend

well, if you get a 3000GT, you'd need to set $2000 aside for repairs, so I wouldn't advise getting that because you're unlikely to find a $4000 3000GT that isn't beat to hell. it really depends on the car you get, a Turbo eclipse or V8 Camaro takes alot less money in mods to be fast than a civic does.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Also try to look at cars that already have some mods, buying someone elses work is going to be cheaper
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
jncodave
AF Enthusiast

I agree with both of these people, skip the 3000gt and the integra. The gt can be fast but like he said, its going to take a lot of money and work, and the integra just plain sucks. Go with a late 80's early 90's camaro, firebird, mustang with low miles. these cars are already decently fast and the aftermarket is huge, therefore aftermarket parts arent really expensive. I would say spend about $5000 on the car. then if the engine is up to it, get a supercharger (or a turbo if you prefer), a good intake, and a complete exhaust system. that should put you right at your budget and you will have a pretty fast car.

If you have your heart set on an import (cringe) go with an Eclipse/Talon turbo AWD. not sure how much these cars cost but i know they are pretty fast and the aftermarket is large.
jncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Awood14
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I have begun to look into used camaros and mustangs and I'm very pleased with how the pricing works out.
Awood14 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A