Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

96 2500 worn engine or bigger problem

I have a 96 2500, 5.7 with 5spd. Has just over 230k miles, engine seems strong till a trailer is on it, im assuming that's from the miles and it's worn out. What's worrying me is even without a trailer there is a sweet spot, around 2k to 2500 rpm where the engine lugs hard and the whole pickup shakes pretty bad. I can let off the gas or give it a little more and it goes away. It does it a little if im trying to accelerate slowly, but again goes away with more or less pressure on the gas. I could be in any gear and the symptoms are 100%identical. Another thing that has been getting worse, not sure if it's related is when cruising at a steady speed, usually above 2500 rpm my exhaust pops bad. The exhaust is chopped after the converter so im sure that's part of it, but it has been getting worse. There is a a bit of small metal shavings in the oil, not bad for the mileage as far as im concerned but I know it's still not good. I just want to know if this is a symptom of a very worn engine or if I should expect a bad mechanical failure. Side note I bought it at 210k miles, the guy I bought it from used it to tow approximately 5k lbs daily. Almost never was driven without a load before I bought it.
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 96 2500 worn engine or bigger problem

I would guess that cylinder leakage test would be revealing, or even a simple cranking compression test. Metal in the oil is not a good thing at any mileage.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Are those tests that I can perform with tools at home? I don't have access to anything fancy and can't afford to go to a shop right now.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Plumb a vacuum gauge into any intake vacuum port and watch as you drive-- if no vacuum at "sweet spot" then for sure a lot of blow by in cylinders or truly a worn out engine. Vacuum tells a lot about engine integrity. Should be vacuum throughout all speed ranges- yes it will change- high at idle (15-17 in/hg), and low on acceleration, but there should always be some. I once tested a worn out Ford Fiesta, there was hardly any vacuum while driving- had no power- engine was worn out.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Looks like I've got another weekend project. Thanks! I'll post results when I get around to testing it.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Havnt been able to test the engine for compression. However I am 99% sure that my fuel pump went out. So maybe it has been going bad a while and that's what was causing my issues. Will be putting a new pump in at some point this week or next. Hopefully that's all it is.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado