Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
fobsub
AF Newbie

Tacoma transfer case install help

Is there a trick to getting it back on? This is a basic 4cyl 5spd 2wd. The thing just won't go back on and be able to shift. Can someone help?
Thanks
Fobsub
fobsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: Tacoma transfer case install help

Transfer cases are used on 4 wheel drive trucks but they are not used on a 2 wheel drive truck. Please tell us what year truck you have and give a better description of what parts you are trying to assemble. Are you trying to install the transmission? Was the clutch removed?

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
fobsub
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Tacoma transfer case install help

This is a two wheel drive 1996 Tacoma. I replaced the clutch but to do so required the removal of the end casing of the transmission in order to be able to drop the trans around an integral crossmember. The tail end I removed is the part that contains the seal where the driveshaft plugs into and also holds the shift lever from above. Its about a foot long and has 9 bolts. Had to move the shift into a particular gear to remove the case. Made no changes to the trans but shift pawl does not seem to engage properly during reassembly to facilitate proper shifting. It seems to always clamp itself into a high gear and am unable to shift into any other gear when assembled. Clutch now works fine, just has no shiftability. With "transfer" case removed, am unable to move any lever in the rear of the trans (part enclosed by this case) to change gears that would normally be accomplished with the shift lever and pawl assy (which are part of this case). The trans was fine when I removed it.
????
Thanks,
Fobsub
fobsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

The part you are calling the transfer case is normally called the extension housing on 2 wheel drive transmissions. Unfortunately, it's not a good idea to disassemble the transmission with it installed. You may have to remove the transmission to properly install the extension housing. You can download a copy of the 1995.5-1997 Toyota Tacoma FSM at this link.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
It's a zip file and opens into over 1600 pages. The method for transmission removal in the manual for 2 wheel drive transmission is to remove the engine and transmission together and pull the transmission from the engine. I don't know if your method is the only way to pull the transmission without removing the engine. You may be able to figure out how to put the parts back together by referring to the shop manual transmission repair section. I haven't taken one apart but I know the shifter forks have to be aligned in any transmission to install the shifter, usually in the neutral position.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Ouch, that wasn't the t-case that was the tail housing. Follow that FSM link and find the trans article. Be sure to TQ everything to spec. The trans is not an area where tight is tight enough. For a clutch I usually disconnect the drive shaft from the rear end, and then just slide the trans back on the cross member.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
MASTER OF THE HELM
AF Newbie

YES FOBSUB FEEL FOR YOU HAVE 97 TACOMA 2WD 4CYL 5SP. A LESSON FOR ALL REPLACING CLUTCH USING HAYNES MANUEL NEVER AGAIN PUT TRUCK ON RAMPS DISCONNECT ALL WIRING/STARTER/DISCONNECT DRIVE/SHIFTER/BELL HOUSING/ TOP 2 17MM BOLTS ON BELL HOUSING PAIN IN THE . GO TO REMOVE TRANSMISSION AND MF ME HAYNES FAILS TO MENTION THAT ON THE 97 TACOMA THE CROSS MEMBER IS NOT REMOVABLE I KNOW SHOULD HAVE PAID MORE ATTENTION. SO HERE I AM WONDERING WHY I CANNOT REMOVE TRANS SO GO ONLINE AND SURE ENOUGH MUST INSTALL EVERYTHING I REMOVED LIKE I DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK FLASH75 FOR GREAT INFO AND FOBSUB FOR POST REALLY HELPED. I HAVE WORKED ON TOYOTAS FOR 20 PLUS YEARS AS A COLLISION TECH THIS IS MY 3RD TRUCK FROM THOSE TOOLS WHY THEY WOULD NOT MAKE THIS CROSS MEMBER REMOVABLE IS BEYOND ME SHOULD NOT BE SO DIFFICULT NOW HAVE TO GO PAY MECH TO DO THE JOB THE FREAKING ENGINE MUST COME OUT. SHAME ON HAYNES FOR NOT MENTIONING IT. A LESSON FOR ALL.
MASTER OF THE HELM is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma