Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 05:47 PM   #1
97gsr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97gsr
will switching oil types harm?

I bought my 97 gsr used and do not know if the previous owner used synthetic oil or not..

I have been using reg oil (not synthetic)...
Will it harm my engine at all to switch to synthetic...and if not, is it worth my $ to start using synthetic

might be a dumb ?
no flames please!!

TIA
97gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
higgimonster
AF Regular

switching to synthetic will not cause any harm to your engine. Only your wallet. A 97 GSR will be using non-synthetic and you should stick to it. Unless you completely dry out all of the oil from your engine and replace it with synthetic there is no reason to spend $3 a quart for oil. Just stuck with what your manufacturer specifies. there is a reason they specify that oil. They tested it to be the best for their engine.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
you can switch to synethic if you want. just drain out your old oil and put it in. thats what synethic blends are, synethic mixed with oil. so its ok to use synethic with your existing oil. just make sure you dont change weight. supposedly synethic is better, it help lubricat your enigne better or something.
civickiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:08 AM   #4
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

Actually I've heard that the viscosity breaks down easily in synsthetic, and it practically turns to water and can leak through and saturate your rings and cause damage later on down the road.
I use 30D by Havoline..

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY SKY DIVES YOU'VE GOT. UNTIL YOU'VE STEPPED OUT INTO COMPLETE DARKNESS AT 850' WEARING 95LBS. OF EQUIPMENT AND 68LBS. OF PARACHUTE. YOU JUST HAVEN'T LIVED.
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
wagsaccordsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:22 AM   #5
97gsr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97gsr
HEY THANKS GUYS!!!
97gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 AM   #6
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Quote:
Originally posted by higgimonster
there is a reason they specify that oil. They tested it to be the best for their engine.
It would be more accurate to say that they tested to confirm that it's "good enough" for their engine. That doesn't mean that there isn't something better out there. Keep in mind that $0.10 per vehicle in cost savings translates to $100,000/yr or more for an OEM.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:04 AM   #7
Freeman
AF Newbie

Re: will switching oil types harm?

Quote:
Originally posted by 97gsr
I bought my 97 gsr used and do not know if the previous owner used synthetic oil or not..

I have been using reg oil (not synthetic)...
Will it harm my engine at all to switch to synthetic...and if not, is it worth my $ to start using synthetic

might be a dumb ?
no flames please!!

TIA
Mobil 1! I love this shit! Sure, it's 4 bucks a quart, but it WORKS!
My cars run so fine with it, and it's only $12+ bucks every three-
four months.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:02 PM   #8
lapspec
AF Newbie

Unhappy Syn Oil

Freeman, Please be careful when listening to uninformed individuals in this forum. Synthetics are the best oil you can use in you vehicle. In regards to two of the post here: Higgimonster stated" Just stuck with what your manufacturer specifies. there is a reason they specify that oil. They tested it to be the best for their engine." Manufactures only recommend basic oil and sometimes synthetic, saying only to use an api rated oil. Each oil has different makeup properties and not all are good this is even the case with synthetics. In regard to wagsaccordsir comments. He should really get a better understanding of oil basics. He said: "Actually I've heard that the viscosity breaks down easily in synsthetic, and it practically turns to water and can leak through and saturate your rings and cause damage later on down the road.
I use 30D by Havoline.." This fact is not true at all. If you would like to understand oil better please look at my web site www.synthetic-lubricants.com and download the free preview of the motor oil bible. The preview itself will answer most of your questions.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:14 PM   #9
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

Looks like somebody is trying to make a sale!! Buy AMSOIL products!! mmm???

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY SKY DIVES YOU'VE GOT. UNTIL YOU'VE STEPPED OUT INTO COMPLETE DARKNESS AT 850' WEARING 95LBS. OF EQUIPMENT AND 68LBS. OF PARACHUTE. YOU JUST HAVEN'T LIVED.
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 08:25 PM   #10
lapspec
AF Newbie

Talking Sell Amsoil ?

"Educate first - sell later" I do recommend Amsoil however I do not get into arguments as to the best oil that is for the informed person to decide.....At least the facts I give are true and solid...
Old 12-07-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

I never gave facts did I???

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 08:58 PM   #12
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

INSTEAD OF MAKING ME BUY THIS BOOK TO EDUCATE MYSELF WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME THE PASSWORD SO I CAN DOWNLOAD IT AND EDUCATE MYSELF SO WE CAN BOTH AGREE THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO EDUCATE AND NOT SELL A PRODUCT... IMPORTRACER151@EARTHLINK.NET

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:46 PM   #13
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Quote:
Originally posted by wagsaccordsir
Actually I've heard that the viscosity breaks down easily in synsthetic, and it practically turns to water and can leak through and saturate your rings and cause damage later on down the road.
I use 30D by Havoline..

Quote:
I never gave facts did I???
Well technically speaking, you probably did provide a factual account of what you'd previously heard. Unfortunately, what you've heard doesn't seem to be accurate.

Synthetic oils are, generally speaking, more resistant to degradation (shear and thermal) than conventional oils are. This business about "saturating the rings" is plain nonsense. When was the last time you saw steel get "saturated" with oil? For matching viscosity grades, it is generally accepted that a synthetic oil will provide somewhat better wear protection than a conventional oil.

Whether or not the improvement in protection justifies the increase in cost is another question altogether. I've run a sumpful of synthetic oil for one 7000-mile cycle (from 121k to 128k) of my girfriend's driving (97 Civic DX, 70% city driving), and oil analyses conducted along the way showed that the oil was holding up well. I've not attempted the same experiment with a conventional oil, as each analysis was about $35, so I can't directly compare results.

I personally prefer to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my gf's car, and whatever is cheap @ the auto parts store in my car (88 civic hatch). I don't bother with any of those silly engine additives.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #14
lapspec
AF Newbie

Talking Book

I do not own the book it is just a link to the site. I do not have access to passwords. This is a copyrighted publication therefore it is up to the owner of the book to distribute it freely or not. Sorry

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical