Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Leganza
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
david_1976
AF Newbie

Question What to do with my Daewoo Leganza?

I have a 2000 Daewoo Leganza, it's only 105,000KM and everything is great. This morning, there is some noise and the garage said the timing belt will break soon. It costs about $500 and 2 weeks to fix it. I'm currently in Eastern Canada and will move to Western Canada 1.5 months later. The cost for shipping it to Western Canada is more than $2100 (I have no time to drive 7 days from east to west). You guys can see, it cost about $3,000 to get the car running in the west, which I can get another car with same year and kilometers. My new employer will pay up to $5,000 for my moving, including furniture, airtickets and car shipping. What should I do?
david_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: What to do with my Daewoo Leganza?

Will your employer give you $5000 whether you spend it or not?

If the $3000 to move the car is coming out of your own pocket, then the move makes no sense. There is no point spending $3000 on an old, orphan brand car which has a low resale value. Sell the car locally (you won't get much for it) and buy a new one out west.

But if your employer is paying for the move, then keep the car. For you, it's a known quantity, that is, you know how well its been maintained and how well it runs. Since the car is an orphan, it is worth less that most other cars in a similar condition. Chances are, a replacement car out west will cost you more than what you sell the Daewoo locally.

BTW an "orphan" brand occurs when the manufacturer does not exist anymore. Orphan cars are difficult to sell, unless they are considered to be a sought-after classic or collectable, (ie, Packard, Deusenberg, etc)
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
david_1976
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: What to do with my Daewoo Leganza?

Thanks! MagicRat. I just get more information. The relocation fees only applies when I have an eligiable receipt. However, I have only $1200 left for car shipping. More worse: I'm going to Vancouver and there is strict exhaust check for out of town cars. Normally, people spend $500 to $2000 to get old car fixed for the exhause check. So it seems a better way to sell it locally. I chated with many car professionals here today and nobody thinks anyone will buy it, especially the timing belt is making noise of the orphan. The best offer I get today is that a recycle company can take it for free. And they told me they will crash it. I really feel upset, not only because of losing money, but also of my Leganza. I had a lot of fun time with it, I like the car, it accompanies me everyday between home and work. Everything is runing with only 105,000Km, just a timing belt will break. I can't imange how sad I will be when they crash my Leganza into a piece of medal by the huge crash machine. I still don't know what to do.
david_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

You still have some time. So place some ads locally, (Craigslist, Autotrader) and let your friends and family know its for sale.There may be local bulliten boards which may help out. Ask something like $1500 or best and see what you get. Even if you get just a few hundred, its still better than what the wreckers would give you.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
burtonroger83
AF Newbie

Search fast for a second hand timing belt! 500 $ sounds very expensive for me! For example in my country (Romania - Eastern Europe) a timng belt kit is 200$ at daewoo cars in general (including timing belt, roles and, water pump, alternator belt)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Leganza