Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #31
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Brightest NON HID bulbs

True, but my point is when you go with white bumbs, you are removing the most powerful part of the spectrum and some of your visibility can go down.

The only way to counteract it is to upp the wattage to overcome the difference.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #32
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBoyLT98
I want bright, clear, sometimes powerful bulbs to really light up the road ahead when i am driving on backroads that are not lit and snowing or raining. I also want to buy the clear housings for my headlights
The new Silverstar Ultras will do the trick for ya.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #33
BlazerBoyLT98
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlazerBoyLT98 Send a message via Yahoo to BlazerBoyLT98

Who owns the Silverstar Ultras? Like Is aid I have on regular bulb and one of the original silverstars in now and when I hav both silverstars I was not impressed by any means.
2 JL Audio 12" Subs Sealed JL Audio Box
Coustic 400 Watt Class D Mono Amp
Pioneer Head Unit 50X4 MP3, WMA, AAC Super Tuner
Polk DB750 6.5" all around
Yankees Suck!!!!!!!!
BlazerBoyLT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #34
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
True, but my point is when you go with white bumbs, you are removing the most powerful part of the spectrum and some of your visibility can go down.

The only way to counteract it is to upp the wattage to overcome the difference.
No arguement here

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Come visit me on www.faceforums.com
muzzy1maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #35
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Who owns the Silverstar Ultras? Like Is aid I have on regular bulb and one of the original silverstars in now and when I hav both silverstars I was not impressed by any means.
They are pretty new on the market.

But all in all, you can't go wrong with them.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #36
blazee
Problem?

Quote:
I finally found some specs for the different bulbs.

Low Beams/9006

Type Watts (power consumption) Hours (life span) Kelvin (color) Lumens (light output)
Stock55100032001000
Silverstar5515040001000
Silverstar Ultra551504000 1200
Toshiba HIR 90125580036001700

High Beams/9005

Type Watts (power consumption) Hours (life span) Kelvin (color) Lumens (light output)
Stock6532032001700
Silverstar6513540001700
Silverstar Ultra651354000 2040
Toshiba HIR 90116530036002300
HID3530004100-100003200

According to the specs that I found:

The regular Silverstars are not any brighter than stock bulbs. They just appear that way, because they are whiter. That's why most people that use them say that they were not impressed.

The Silverstar Ultras are the only 9005/9006 bulbs that I've seen that actually put out more light than stock 9005/9006 bulbs. However, they still have the whiter light which will still give you a glare.

The HIR bulbs put out much more light while still consuming the same amount of power, and have a whiteness directly between that of stock and the silvertstars which means that they shouldn't have the glare problems if properly adjusted.

I've also found several sources that tell the difference in the Silverstars sold as Osrams and those sold as Sylvania. As we've already established, Osram is the parent company to Sylvania. The ones sold over seas are sold under the name Osram and are clear. The ones sold here under the name Sylvania have a blue coating to make them appear whiter. The reason so many people recommend the ones from overseas is because the ones sold here cause more glare and they get hotter causing them to have a shorter lifespan.

Last edited by blazee; 10-22-2006 at 12:31 PM.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #37
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

just found an ebay auction for the hir bulbs and they are $27 a piece ! anywhere else that sells them cheaper? is there an hir equivilant for fog light bulbs?
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #38
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

I get a lot of people flashing me with just the 3500k Xenon bulbs even while using low beam.

Just watch that the local officials don't pull you over because they are too bright.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #39
laxman21
AF Enthusiast

I have silver stars in my company truck. I like em.

'99 Blazer LT

'99 Suburban LT
laxman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #40
riptide44
AF Newbie

you might want to consider this ....

1 ) i switched my standard bulbs for nighthawks and found that even with the lights aimed down to there lowest point - there was a noticeable glare which im sure would affect the oncoming drivers ability to see the centerline - not only that - the nighthawks did a great job of lighting up the ditches out to about 100 feet but terrible on the long range where the deer are waiting - switched back to the standard bulbs and felt much safer that i had excellent long range on high beams and i wasn't blinding an oncoming driver - get my drift .......

2) even with the lights aimed according to instructions / dot regs / and even by a shop - i could see that the glare from these nighthawks was right in the face of a driver crossing the intersection in front of me - so much so - that driver had to cover his eyes - since that incident i will never put those lights in my car .

3) driving lights are the way to go - you dont need that extra light in the city and you have the control of turning them off - if your on the highway you will likely be using your highbeams anyway and this where a driver can use some extra light - hook them up to your highbeams so they turn off when you dim the lights to an approaching driver .... by the way - here in canada and alot states - dot regs state that a driving or auxilary light must be installed so they only operate when the high beams are lit - a good rule if you ask me - but even with the regs you still see brand new vehicles with oem driving lights that are on with the low beams - but a case in point - driving lights on a 2005 gmc sierra are oem rated at 40 watts -- aftermarket stuff is 55 watts thru a cheap lens that gives off a blinding glare .look around and you will see a difference.

so to sum it up - i would go with a set of oem driving lights -even if they didnt make some specifically for your vehicle there will be something that will fit and look great too .and stay away from the high out put headlights - you will be much safer without them . were all guilty of not slowing down at night and unless you have a 180 deg, arc of 100 watt flood lights the high outputs aren't going to save you from hitting an animal -

....and i have to say one more thing .... if you see a deer on the road at night - dont highbeam it and honk at it - in fact dim your lights slow down & put the 4 ways on to warn that guy with the blinding light thats going by you and about to have deer ass for dinner - that theres a problem ahead ....
riptide44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #41
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide44
by the way - here in canada and alot states - dot regs state that a driving or auxilary light must be installed so they only operate when the high beams are lit - a good rule if you ask me - ....
I believe that they can only be lit while the LOW beams are lit.

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #42
riptide44
AF Newbie

Auxiliary driving lamps

4.09 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 auxiliary driving lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 40 cm and not more than 1.06 m, that are capable of displaying onlywhite light.
(2) An auxiliary driving lamp must be directed so that the high intensity portion of the beam is, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, at least 12 cm below the height of the lamp and, at a distance of 25 m from the lamp, not higher than 1.06 m from the road surface.
(3) An auxiliary driving lamp must operate so that it is illuminated only when the upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp is illuminated.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #43
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Curious. I'm thinking it's different in the states. I don't have any statutes but factory fog/driving lights turn off automatically when you switch to high beams so I'll stick with what I posted earlier.

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #44
riptide44
AF Newbie

i think it's only used at the officers discretion - i mean like i said most if not all of the oem drive lamps are at a lower wattage and they are constructed to properly reflect the light as oppose to most aftermarket stuff that gets mass produced in korea or wherever and they just use glass and a reflective material thats cheap - so driving around with a set of those will get you some attention and notice to have them corrected and or a fine --- on the other hand factory lights have never bothered me and i doubt they would even raise an eyebrow from the authorities . i've seen the cops pull over guy's with the aftermarket ones and yet the guy with the factory lights drives on thru - technically they both could get pulled over but like i say theres a big difference between 40 watts or 55 watts of controlled light as opposed 40 or 55 watts of flooding light .

...............i think we can beat this to death if we want to ..LOL
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #45
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Just wanted to say that Im using Silverstars on my Civic and Im pretty happy with them. Replacing your housings at the same time makes a good difference. I wanted to try the Ultras but they dont make them in my type. I would love to have HID but a decent set is $450, a little out of my budget.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info