Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
cwright
AF Newbie

Unhappy Help! '03 Passat cold start problem

Hi,

I bought a 2003 Passat (1.8T base model) a year and a half ago. I love the car, but it has this nasty habit of not starting in cold weather. Last January ('04), when it got down to 0 degrees F here in Boston area, the car would not start. This happened 2-3 times, with no resolution with the dealer (could not duplicate problem). One guy thought it might be the ignition switch, so that was replaced this past summer.

Now it is cold again, and the problem recurred today. Full details: outside temperature 16 degrees, full tank. I turn the key in ignition to accessory and wait for the seat belt alarm to stop binging. I then turn the key to start, and I hear a relay click under the dash somewhere, but NOTHING else (fan and radio are off). No starter solenoid, no cranking of any kind, NADA.

Mind you, everything else seems to work. Dash lights, radio, fan, headlights... just no connection with the starter, it seems.

Last year, I got a ride to work and the car started fine when I got home in the evening. Knowing this, today I called a tow and kept trying the ignition every 20 minutes or so. I hold the key in the start position for up to a minute with no results.

Anyway, the tow finally came today at 9:45, and we decided to try to start it before towing it. The car started JUST FINE (just like last year). I drove it to the dealer to leave with them overnight and got a rental car (I wish they had loaners). I'm hoping it will be cold enough again tonight that they will see the problem in the morning.

Still, I am worried. What if it isn't cold enough? I'm not keen on paying for a rental car during weather too warm for the problem to happen! What could be causing this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks for any clues,

Charles Wright
cwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
Mr Vegas
AF Regular

It sounds like it may be internally "iced" in the starter solenoid,but usually you would still hear the solenoid click-this was a problem with 95 neons.
It maybe a fault with the immobiliser temporarily "locking" the engine,my advice would be to take it to a VW agent and get them to check for faults in the ECU,as the fault sounds like an electrical problem-good luck!
Mr Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: Help! '03 Passat cold start problem

It sounds like excessive resistance in the starter circuit. Since the ignition switch was replaced, that rules it out. You might want to get a voltmeter & see if you're getting at least 12 Volts to the starter solenoid wire from the ignition switch when it won't crank. If so then I'd replace the starter. If not, then you'll have to track the cause of resistance. It could be a bad connection, relay problem, anti theft system fault, etc.... Is it automatic or manual transmission.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Electrical portion of the Ignition switch- Too much resistance from frosting=no start. Lots of problems w/ jettas and golfs... -5 out and then push it into shop... warms up.. then it starts
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
cwright
AF Newbie

Finally failed for mechanic

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas. I had left it at the dealership all weekend and Monday, in hopes it would get cold enough to fail again. Nothing doing. So I picked up the car Monday night, and what do you know, it's 5 degrees this fine Tuesday morning, and the car won't start. Got it towed to the dealer, and their mechanic tried to start it, and it did, with some hesitation. He says, "yeah, it's the electrical portion of the ignition switch..." Hmmm, what portion did they replace this past summer? He just fixed one like this yesterday, and he's hoping it'll start this morning, and so it's probably the same thing in my car.

Anyway, I'll post the actual part description when I get it. If it fails again, you'll hear me on Click and Clack ;-)

Charles Wright
Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #6
cwright
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubmechanic
Electrical portion of the Ignition switch- Too much resistance from frosting=no start. Lots of problems w/ jettas and golfs... -5 out and then push it into shop... warms up.. then it starts
What do they mean by the "electrical portion"? A switch is electrical, no? Anyway, that's exactly what the mechanic called it - must be the part name? Just curious...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
boschmann
AF Fanatic

The key and lock cylinder is the mechanical part of the ignition switch. They are sold seperately and have different functions.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
carblind
AF Newbie

Question Re: Help! '03 Passat cold start problem

So, what is the outcome of the problem? Did you get it fixed?
We have a 2003 Passat with exactly the same problem. The
dealers couldn't reproduce the problem and did not want to do
anything. We are lost at what to do next.
carblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
vwpassat03
AF Newbie

Re: Finally failed for mechanic

I'm experiencing the same problem that you had. Can you please tell me what the solution is to fix this problem? How do I get the dealership to fix it without them duplicating the problem?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas. I had left it at the dealership all weekend and Monday, in hopes it would get cold enough to fail again. Nothing doing. So I picked up the car Monday night, and what do you know, it's 5 degrees this fine Tuesday morning, and the car won't start. Got it towed to the dealer, and their mechanic tried to start it, and it did, with some hesitation. He says, "yeah, it's the electrical portion of the ignition switch..." Hmmm, what portion did they replace this past summer? He just fixed one like this yesterday, and he's hoping it'll start this morning, and so it's probably the same thing in my car.

Anyway, I'll post the actual part description when I get it. If it fails again, you'll hear me on Click and Clack ;-)

Charles Wright[/quote]
vwpassat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
carblind
AF Newbie

Five time to the dealership, twice reproduced and something got changed.
But problem still exists. We are pursuing Lemon Law right now.
carblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
Will12
AF Regular

Just some thoughts... It happens when it's cold only, but electronics love cold because of lower resistance. Also, when you you turn the ignition on, is the gas pump comes on too, and does it happens in manual or auto transmission?
Will12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
waborat
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Help! '03 Passat cold start problem

Someone, PLEASE HELP!!! I've been dealing with this exact same issue for 3 years! I have a 2003 Passat GLX, Automatic. When it's cold out, usually 20 or below, I know I'm not making it to work on time. Usually, it takes several attempts before the car will start. Othertimes, I'm SOL until it warms up. I have found on occasion that when I put the car in nuetral, it will crank right up (doesn't always work). I've taken the car in twice but they have never found a problem. I love my passat, but I dread the winter months because of this issue. If anyone else has had this same problem and discovered the problem and/or solution, please reply!!!!
waborat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Wow old thread...

There is an electrical portion and mechanical portion of the ignition swtich. VW used dissimmilar metals and when it gets cold out the metals may not touch inside the electrical portion of the switch and thus not allowing electrical power to the starter. If you can turn the key to start but nothing happens than its most likely the electrical portion of the ignition switch a 40.00 part.

There is also a recall out for 2003 passats for a faulty fuel pump. Have your local dealer check for recalls.
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
waborat
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Help! '03 Passat cold start problem

Awesome! Thanks for the response. Makes perfect since. I assuming this is something that can't be tested, it just has to be replaced. It will be worth a shot as VW has checked it twice before and didn't have a clue as to what was wrong. I'm going to take your advice and replace the electrical portion. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. I'll post again with results. Thanks!
waborat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
ncelik
AF Newbie

2003 Passat GL Wagon, automatic, same problem for the last 2 winters.

Yesterday night it was 19F out there and it would not start. I'd replace the electrical portion of the switch, but what makes me suspicious that the dashboard comes on. And just as described in the start of the thread, it does make a slight "click" sound in the dashboard, but then no cranking, no attempt to turn the engine whatsoever.

veedubmechanic --- are you sure about the ignition part? Notice, the fact that the dashboard will come on!

Car really used a lot, transported boats and canoes and bikes on it and we love it, but wife says trade it in now or fix it. I'd rather fix it. Any advice from somebody who had this problem and solved it would be GREATLY appreciated.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+