Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
weaselphd
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to weaselphd Send a message via Yahoo to weaselphd
2007 Passat wolfsburg - oil usage

Just wondering, this is my first passat turbo 2.0 wolfsburg edition. and i have had all dealer maint done including all oil changes the car now has 45k miles, the last oil change was done 6 months ago, i checked the oil after a long road trip (5hrs ea way) that the oil was low, no light but the dipstick was low. i added approx 1.5 qts. do these cars typically burn or use oil i dont know alot about turbos if they use more oil etc.

thoughts?

Thanks
Michael
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Franco2112
AF Regular

Re: 2007 Passat wolfsburg - oil usage

It's a good thing you check your oil. Yes they do burn oil at about 1/2 quart per 1000-2000 miles using conventional oil. If you go fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 you don't get as much, if any burn. I still use conventional oil 5w40 from the dealer servicing it. I have to add 1/2-3/4 quart about every 3000 miles. The burn is nothing to be concerned about unless you don't check your oil regularly as we all should for every type of vehicle.
Nice cars and yes, you bought a burner!
Franco
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
weaselphd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2112 View Post
It's a good thing you check your oil. Yes they do burn oil at about 1/2 quart per 1000-2000 miles using conventional oil. If you go fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 you don't get as much, if any burn. I still use conventional oil 5w40 from the dealer servicing it. I have to add 1/2-3/4 quart about every 3000 miles. The burn is nothing to be concerned about unless you don't check your oil regularly as we all should for every type of vehicle.
Nice cars and yes, you bought a burner!
Franco
Excellent thanks for the info, i feel alot better knowing that... that is odd that the car does burn that much oil... but at least i know now to check it each month. I would hope that the dealer used synthetic Castrol syntec for charging the 80 bucks... i will call to verify.

Are these oil changes hard to do yourself?

Thanks
Michael
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Franco2112
AF Regular

You can do it yourself. Buy genuine VW filter if you do and be careful not to strip the drain plug.
Franco
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
weaselphd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2112 View Post
You can do it yourself. Buy genuine VW filter if you do and be careful not to strip the drain plug.
Franco
awesome thanks so much! is it hard to reset the oil change light yourself?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Franco2112
AF Regular

Step 1
Sit in the driver's seat of the Passat and close all the doors.
Step2
Position the trip/odometer button to display the odometer mileage reading, then hold it down with the forefinger on your left hand.
Step3
Turn the ignition key to the "key-on/engine-off" position to turn on all the power options for the Passat without actually starting the engine. At this point, a service indicator light will display (in the form of a wrench).
Step4
Press the minute adjustment button on the clock (or turn the knob clockwise on European manufactured Passats) and release the trip/odometer button.

On 2007 and newer Passats, there are some that have a "wrench button" to the right side of the trip reset. You would hold this button down instead of the trip/odometer, turn the ignition key to the "key-on/engine-off" position, release the wrench button and press the "min" (minute adjustment) button on the clock to reset.
Franco
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
hawaiikeith
AF Newbie

thanks guys i just bought a used vw passat wolfburg edition 2007 and love it. almost 99,000 miles and omgg all the cool stuff works! i have to get maual as it was lost to help me understand and know more about it!! now after 8 months wow the oil and coolant lights or alerts have come on and from reading your comments im more educated in what to do!! thanks so much!
hawaiikeith is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+